Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by 6g 7018 View Post
    spray arc does not happen unless the shielding gas has oxygen in it and you can't use a shielding gas with oxygen in it when welding aluminun
    Fishbum disregard this as it is pure BS. Also make sure your wire is not touching the work piece when you pull the trigger. With short circuit you can get away with it but when setup for spray you can get burn backs.

Default practice, practice, practice!

I used to run with the same set up @ my previous place of employment. One thing I would mention is check your wire tension in the spool gun. I had similar issues after setting up my machine to weld t6061 1/8 aluminum. I scratched my head till I started to relieve the tension on my wire. Er4043 especially because it's really ductile. Try some er5356 spools. Er5356 is a Lil more rigid and feeds better. Down set is, you will have to change your settings and prepare for more fumes.

Here is one that illustrates 30A setup...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fl1h_c7z-R8

ADDITIONALLY....

All of the sources that I have found recommend a 3/4 inch stickout for Aluminum with a spoolgun to avoid burnback...

Here is the generic Miller spoolgun hookup and settings video..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gn6zyjboa4c
    Last edited by H80N; 10-03-2013 at 09:06 AM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Fishburn, Everyone here has given you great advise except for 6G.

The only thing extra that I would like to add that no one mentioned is that I like to set my voltage which is the heat and once that is where I want it I will then start welding and adjust the wire speed knob while I'm welding to fine tune it in.

You need to find the point where your not getting the burn back.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Portable Welder View Post
    Fishburn, Everyone here has given you great advise except for 6G.

The only thing extra that I would like to add that no one mentioned is that I like to set my voltage which is the heat and once that is where I want it I will then start welding and adjust the wire speed knob while I'm welding to fine tune it in.

You need to find the point where your not getting the burn back.

Good luck.

Portable Welder, that's a great piece of advise, its how I dial in a perfect setting too. Short curcuit welding= wire speed too fast, Burn back to tip= wire speed too slow. That's how I understand it.

JA

Dynasty 200 DX
    Diversion 180 (FOR SALE)
    Millermatic 350P, XR-Aluma-Pro
    30A Spoolgun
    Lincoln Pro Mig 140
    Hypertherm Powermax 30
    14" Rage Evolution 360
    40 ton press brake
    Shop full of tools

I defiantly agree that for the most part sound is a good thing to remember hut you cant weld from sound alone. Its all about the puddle and what you are doing(or jot doing with it). That being said unless i am welding out of position like vertical or overhead I do generally look for a full his with aluminum. I just welded a bunch if brackets today with a spoolgun(30a). 24.5 volts about 375 wire speed. Turned out pretty nice. 3/8th plate with sch 40 pipe
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default need help

to mig weld aluminum use a spool gun or push-pull gun. do not drag becase it is best to point the mig gun straight at the weld joint and let fill ,then move pause, and repeat. this technique is almost like forward and back technique only better on thin aluminum and will make a flat stack of dimes profile with a good tie-in.