Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Question Diversion 165 question

Im thinking of buying a little diversion 165 for my little tig projects that i run across once in a blue moon. What are the pros and cons of that machine? I currently have a mm252, 2 old bobcat 225g, and a bobcat 250. I want a good ac/dc tig machine so i can have good heat control. Any suggestions? What would i need to buy to tig with remote on my bobcat 250? Im new to the forums here. Ive been welding since 2005 i was a Hull Tech in the Navy from 05-09(for yall who dont know thats basically a glorified plumber/welder). I used my GI bill to put myself through weld school and now i currently work as a production mig and tig welder building mostly SS parts and some mild steel work for Hunter Marine sailboats. I cant afford a dynasty or a syncrowave so thats why i am looking at the diversion. Any input positive or negative is very greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Make sure it's big enough for what you need. It has a low duty cycle & won't weld very thick aluminum. Good for sheet metal though.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

I opted for the Diversion 180. For a few more bucks you get more. I weld a lot of 1/8 aluminum and have know problems doing it. I also don't have a problem with duty cycle , I don't push my machine to the limit.

Thanks for the advice. Ill probably take your advice on going with the 180. Ive been keeping an eye on craigslist so that maybe i can get lucky and find a good deal on there.

Save up and get a syncrowave 210. Way more options but not quite a production welder. My Diversion did the job but I really thought it was not the best on aluminum. I never really got a nice shiny bead. My Dialarc HF had a much nicer arc and welded aluminum like a boss.....
    Quote Originally Posted by jjgriffis View Post
    Thanks for the advice. Ill probably take your advice on going with the 180. Ive been keeping an eye on craigslist so that maybe i can get lucky and find a good deal on there.

The 180 is 115 / 230 volts which may come in handy if you want it to be kinda of portable. There is no stick feature as with a 200 syncro or the new 210. Big difference in duty cycle as mention too. The foot control really makes it nice.
    The Diversion is on the current MILLER REBATE program. Your location may vary in pricing.

Thanks for all the input. Im definitely going to go with the 180. Will my bobcat 250 power that machine with no problem? Also unrelated can that bobcat 250 power my mm252? Ive never tried to before. Im finally getting setup to have that machine on a trailer so i can go mobile with it.

As far as the BOBCAT running the 252 I think you are out of luck. I have a MILLER catalogs 2010 and 11 that stated it will run the 212 . Check your manual
    or write MILLER direct. I think there was a post on using the Bobcat generator for running a welding machine .