Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Gingerboy View Post
    Hood time and bury your face in there! Or you can practice on thick plate and start on the edge so all your follow up passes will be up against a straight line. Oh and dont start if you've been drinking beer all day lol.
    As far as beer goes, Keystone " LIGHT " may help. I'm sure Gingerboy will agree !

Quote Originally Posted by BD1:312310
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingerboy View Post
    Hood time and bury your face in there! Or you can practice on thick plate and start on the edge so all your follow up passes will be up against a straight line. Oh and dont start if you've been drinking beer all day lol.
    As far as beer goes, Keystone " LIGHT " may help. I'm sure Gingerboy will agree !
    LMAO, yup!

thank you everyone for your help.

Greatly appreciated.

Stef.

I remember in school when we were doing 3/8" structural tests overhead with stick I'd have a heck of a time seeing what I was doing. My instructor simply said you must look through the smoke haha. Eventually you'll see through the smoke, sparks, and flames and you'll see the light. It just takes practice and muscle memory.

Its all practice. As far as light goes I use a old shirt on top of my head. And let it drape the back when im outside keeps from getting the red neck and the reflection in the back. With enough practice youll start seeing through the smoke
    Syncrowave 250
    Millermatic 210
    dialarc 250
    spectrum 375x
    trailblazer 302
    Lincoln 135

Default Newbie here, I can't see where I'm going. I don't see my line/mark... what to do ?

Try center punching along your soapstone line, then connect the marks. Also try positioning the plate so you are welding at a slight angle away from yourself. This will give you a better field of vision.

Default Newbie here, I can't see where I'm going. I don't see my line/mark... what to do ?

It takes time to get perfect straight beads.. Plus body positioning your hood and a steady hand all put together will give you straight perfect beads..

Try pushing instead of pulling, so the stick doesn't obscure where you want the bead to go.

I had the same problem. Couple things that helped me:

1. I have a 2 power cheater lens installed. This added clarity.
    2. A portable halogen light also helps.
    3. I put a piece of angle iron behind where I am welding (if the situation allows it). It reflects back and also helps.
    4. Practice, practice, practice. You will get better with time. Concentrate on the puddle.

what shade lens are you using i use a shade 10 for almost everything and put a clear lens on each side of the shielding lens