Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default is generator compadible with millermatic 252

im looking to buy a millermatic 252 but i dont know if its compatable with my Generac generator(model 01019) 7500 EXL, 13,500 surge watts. it has ac volts 120/240, ac amps 62.5/31.2, ac watts 7500, dc volts 12, dc amps 10.0. can you help.

if not which generator should i get.

I can't tell you what generator to buy but I can tell you that it sounds like you need to buy an engine drive welder and get a suitcase wire feeder for it. Just throwing an opinion at you. Not to tell you your business.

Default thank you!!

why do you say that? you might be right! im trying to find a welder that has mig and mig on aluminum with spool gun with 4043 wire. so i can work on sheet metal, trailers, and mild steel pipe (schedule 80) that is 5/16 thick. i also have some aluminum projects as well.
    i have a stick welder that runs off the generator, so i was thinking if i could find a welder that did all that and worked well with my generator that would save me some money.

Default is generator compadible with millermatic 252

This is just my $.2 as well
    The 252 is really not meant to be a portable machine. 250+/- lbs is a good bit of weight. At 250a on 230v she pulls about 45 amp. Just off the top of my head I think the 7500 generac won't be able to sustain that, thinking it's around a 30-35 amp max. Now at home or in your shop that's a different story.
    If "I" had the generator you do and wanted portable mig and spool gun I would go sell my stick machine and use the money towards a Multimatic 200. You get SMAW,GMAW,FCAW AND GTAW in one lil pocket rocket package. The Millermatic 211 is portable as well but a lil heavier and only GMAW and FCAW.
    You have a lot of questions to ask yourself before you buy. Do a search, we discussed this at great length a few months ago. Good luck Brett

That genset is to small to power a 252. The 252 requires about 50 amps of 230/240v & your genset only puts out 31 amps of 230/240.

Technically it should run off a genset that puts out about 12,000 watts but just sizing it correctly doesn't always guarantee it will work due to other conditions.
    Last edited by MMW; 09-29-2013 at 06:13 AM.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

I'm gonna go with Precision and say sell the stick machine and get the Multimatic 200, a spool gun, and a TIG torch and be all set(you can wait on the TIG torch till later on). Or else keep the stick machine and get the Miller Matic 211 and spool gun, your choice, to go with the genset you have.
    Be sure to post up what your final decision is after you have made up your mind, and got your equipment. Lot's of guys come on here wanting opinions and get many, but then fail to check back in to let us know what they decided on and how it worked out.

Default i want portibility

i want portability, i was looking at the multimatic 200 but i feel like i would be sacrificing performance just so i can have mig, tig, and stick in a small unit. instead i think a tig machine would work better for my situation. so I'm looking at the Diversion 180 but i don't know how to calculate the amps and watts. so i dont know if my generator will power it. ill let you all know what i end up doing. thanks for the advice.

amps multiplied by volts =watts.
    watts divided by volts = amps

so if your machine draws 30 amps of 240 you would need 7200 watts. This is simplified as starting loads etc. can come into play but it gives you an idea. It's never good to be right at the limit.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Quote Originally Posted by brettbuck View Post
    i want portability, i was looking at the multimatic 200 but i feel like i would be sacrificing performance just so i can have mig, tig, and stick in a small unit. instead i think a tig machine would work better for my situation. so I'm looking at the Diversion 180 but i don't know how to calculate the amps and watts. so i dont know if my generator will power it. ill let you all know what i end up doing. thanks for the advice.
    You want portability? You may need to go with Fencemakers suggestion and get an engine drive, like a Bob Cat. The Bob Cat 225 has 10,000 watts running power, and 12,000 for the 250. More than your present genset has. You could sell the Generac and stick machine(what is it anyway? you haven't mentioned) to off set the cost of the engine drive. Or keep the stick machine for shop work. Just throwing out a few options for you to consider, depending on what's most important to you. I believe the Bob Cat 250 will power the Diversion 252 you were wanting. You can run a spool gun for aluminum right off the Bob Cat with a conversion box, or load it(spool gun) for MIG. The Bob Cat can also do TIG with the right torch. Don't know what your total needs are, so kinda hard to give exact recommendations.

What is your idea of portable? I'm completely portable and do 90% of my work outside and a millermatic 252 is very impractical but the miller extreme 12vs suitcase wire feeder with flux core is practical. Also you could tig of the bobcat engine drive mentioned earlier. These other guys on here will have to fill you in on the aluminum.