Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Welding repair on an Aluminum boat

This is what we started with...pics will be added as work progresses. BTW..We are not professional welders, we do little odd jobs on the side for neighbors, etc.
    All welding done with a Miller Syncrowave 200, 2% Lanthanated tungsten, 4043 filler, & pure argon gas.

Last edited by Goat Driver; 08-26-2013 at 07:45 AM.

A lot of F-26 and J-B Weld...

Repairs started....

Welding all the rivets

Repair and strengthen the transom...added 2"x2"x1/8" aluminum angle and a 10"x12"x1/8" aluminum plate and welded in.

more pics coming as work progresses

I enjoy doing projects just like yours. You plan on blasting, priming and painting afterword? Cleaning those rivets is always a pain, especially when they have been covered and recovered with repair material..
    Last edited by ja baudin; 08-28-2013 at 02:40 PM.

Dynasty 200 DX
    Diversion 180 (FOR SALE)
    Millermatic 350P, XR-Aluma-Pro
    30A Spoolgun
    Lincoln Pro Mig 140
    Hypertherm Powermax 30
    14" Rage Evolution 360
    40 ton press brake
    Shop full of tools

Quote Originally Posted by ja baudin View Post
    I enjoy doing projects just like yours. You plan on blasting, priming and painting afterword? Cleaning those rivets is always a pain, especially when they have been covered and recovered with repair material..

I'm with ya about cleaning those rivets

My son and I are only doing the welding and a few repairs, the boat belongs to a guy down the road, He will be doing all the cleaning, priming, painting and etc. The guy just bought the boat and asked us to do a little welding and repair on it.
    I am praying that my son will pick up on the trade of aluminum welding and repair jobs like this. My son is dyslexic and has a learning disability but he is "good with his hands". He already does small engine repair and is quite good at it, he does a good business just by word of mouth. I'm trying to teach him another useful trade as he does not have the "book learning" ability to go to college, etc.

Default Welding repair on an Aluminum boat

Goat, you sound like an awesome dad. Good on ya man.

Looks pretty darn good to me. Good luck and i second you on teaching him the trade.

Thanks guys for the kind words...God has been really good to us and He gets all the glory.

Happy Fathers day

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

Good luck Goat Driver, on teaching your kid the trade, I was a mostly D student, I was tickled to death when I got a C- on my report card, I did get better grades in my shop classes.

Theres alot of us that were not meant to be suit and tie guys and have other talents ( Its all about finding his talents )

What I lacked in book smarts I made up for with alot of drive, common sense and the want to succeed.

Good luck.