Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default confused by the Thunderbolt Amps table on the machine ... hard to read ..70 amps is?

Hi . newbie here ..
    I am not sure I totally understand the Amps table on my Thunderbolt ac/da machine.

for instance , where would you put 70 amps on the DC ? it seems they forgot it...lol

and just to be sure...is the red line exactly 110 amps and the pink exactly 130 amps?

and I guess the measurements are taken from the black line ( center of the moving part ) ?

I realize welding is not an exact science and it is probably not important to know exactly where the amps are ( more of a feel thing) but nevertheless I am wondering why they did not design a more precise table with smaller grids ?
    I have about 5 hours of experience with welding, so I sure scratch my head sometimes, thinking am I on the right amps setting? and what is it ?....
    thank you guys
    stef

Just a guess, but the dividing line between 60 and 90 ought to be 75 amps.

Default confused by the Thunderbolt Amps table on the machine ... hard to read ..70 amps is?

Herb, the welder you have is an basic SMAW welder. It should have a fine adjustment but I don't know exactly what model it is. That being said it's gonna have basic features. If you would like a machine with amp adjustments with one amp adjustments as well as dig settings and hot starts etc etc etc you gonna have to spend a few extra thousand dollars for that. Yes amps are EXTREMELY important. Just turn the machine waaaaaaay up and weld some thin material and you will see what I mean.
    PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE my good sir.
    Welding tips and tricks.com is a good place for instructional vids. Have fun

i have the exact machine, i too find it hard to get any idea exactly what i set on, i just go buy how many cranks that i turn on the handle, you will get used to it, with practice

Stef.
    The amp grid is not linear, accurate nor intended to be it is only there to give you a general starting position and a general position to return to on your next time welding. You will have to tweek your settings and/or technique for many new setups. There are many variables that affect the weld parameters. Even steels of the same grade can have different chemistries that will react a little differently when welded. A lot of steel is graded by mechanical properties and only generally by chemistry particularly in non-critical applications. If it meets the mechanical requirements it falls into that grade. From a metallurgical stand point there is more than one way to skin a cat and more than one way to achieve specific mechanical properties by using different alloys. I suspect that unless there are specific exclusions that the final choice of alloys comes down to cost and availability at the time of manufacture.---Meltedmetal

Just like ALL machines that setting is merely a GUESTIMATE. It'll put you in the ball park HOWEVER if your running a rod that is too small or too large for that setting. That estimate is out to lunch,

all right guys. thank you all for your help and comments.

I can't wait to practice again, but right now I ran out of steel....

see you later

stef

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post
    Just like ALL machines that setting is merely a GUESTIMATE. ...
    Like the federal budget, that is a guesstimate. Crank it way up until it melts through. Then ask for more amps.
    Miller stuff:
    Dialarc 250 (1974)
    Syncrowave 250 (1992)
    Spot welder (Dayton badged)