Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Every cast I weld is different. 4043 has less tendency to crack with the inconsistencies of welding cast just because it's more ductile.I'm generally not worried about that small gain in tensile strength with cast repairs as they are usually one of a kind, somewhat dirty, unknown contents and such. That's all. Most cast repairs I do are a design flaw so I reinforce them. I'd gladly use 4943 if that's all I had but I have both and the ductility helps with castings as they are mating surfaces that need to have a minor "give" to them. Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by H80N View Post
    From all that I can see... 4943 offers superior performance to 4043 in welding cast as well..

what is the reasoning in using 4043 for that purpose if you have 4943 on hand..??

The merits of 4943 on TIG welding cast aluminum as opposed to other alloys like 4043 was the reason for starting this thread in the first place...and all points pro and con.. so if you could elaborate why... am sure many of us would like to hear..

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyWelder View Post
    Every cast I weld is different. 4043 has less tendency to crack with the inconsistencies of welding cast just because it's more ductile.I'm generally not worried about that small gain in tensile strength with cast repairs as they are usually one of a kind, somewhat dirty, unknown contents and such. That's all. Most cast repairs I do are a design flaw so I reinforce them. I'd gladly use 4943 if that's all I had but I have both and the ductility helps with castings as they are mating surfaces that need to have a minor "give" to them. Dave
    I'm not seeing it... but if it works for you.. then more power to you...

For me 4943 has pretty much replaced 4043... and absolutely so on Al Castings..

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

To each their own. You asked for my opinion and I gave it. I stick with what works for me until I find something better. I like 4943 better on structural stuff.4943 has been out for a while. I wonder why others aren't putting it out there yet.
    I'm not seeing it... but if it works for you.. then more power to you...

For me 4943 has pretty much replaced 4043... and absolutely so on Al Castings..

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyWelder View Post
    To each their own. You asked for my opinion and I gave it. I stick with what works for me until I find something better. I like 4943 better on structural stuff.4943 has been out for a while. I wonder why others aren't putting it out there yet.
    4943 has only been out a couple of years and is patented... so.. only Maxal/Hobart has it..

Here is one of the announcements

http://www.marinelink.com/news/paten...ces350264.aspx

Maxal Introduces Patent-Pending 4943 Aluminum Filler Metals

Press Release
    Friday, December 21, 2012

Maxal 4943

Maxal has introduced new patent-pending 4943 aluminum MIG wire and TIG cut-lengths, the first aluminum filler metal to be developed, registered by the Aluminum Association and classified by the American Welding Society (AWS) for wrought commercial applications in over 40 years.

Maxal developed the new product in response to industry demands for a higher-strength aluminum welding solution that also offers the advantages of using a 4043 aluminum filler metal, including excellent corrosion resistance, ease of welding and low hot cracking sensitivity. It is also suitable for elevated temperature applications, and provides the ability to reduce weld size without compromising strength.

Maxal 4943 filler metal features an AWS A5.10 classification, in addition to a filler metal material group allocation of F23 from the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME). Due to its ASME F-number allocation, users may be able to weld with Maxal 4943 aluminum filler metal using the same welding procedure as 4043 products.

Maxal tests have shown up to 40 percent increase in yield strength and up to 20 percent increase in ultimate tensile strength with this product compared to 4043 aluminum products, as well as an increase of approximately 20 percent in shear strength. The filler metal can be used, with advantage, as a direct replacement for 4643 filler metal in post-weld heat treatment applications. Unlike 4043 products, 4943 filler metal does not depend upon dilution from the base metal during welding to increase the strength of the weld deposit. 4943 filler metal can be used for welding 1xxx, 3xxx, 5xxx with less than 2.5%Mg, and 6xxx series base metals.

Maxal 4943 MIG wire offers precisely controlled wire diameter, cast and helix, high column strength and a surface condition that optimizes feedability. The spooled products are available in diameters ranging from .030 to 1/16 inches. TIG cut-lengths also offer excellent weldability and are available in 1/16-, 3/32-, 1/8-, 5/32- and 3/16- inch diameters.

Both products are ideal for welding automotive and motorcycle frames, wheels, furniture, ladders and frames, ship decks, pleasure boats, bicycles, and aerospace applications, as well as for A356.0 casting repairs.

Maxal 4943 aluminum filler metal exhibits low smut and discoloration, similar to 4043 aluminum products, and offers low shrinkage rates and high weld pool fluidity. It also features high-strength characteristics in the post-weld thermally treated condition, when compared to 4043 and 4643 filler metals.

Last edited by H80N; 02-02-2014 at 08:09 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Interesting. I just used some tonight to modify a yz250 subframe for freestyle motocross. I like how it flows. Very smooth puddle. Problem is, even my local dealers that sell Hobart don't stock it. I had to special order it. I checked with ten different local places and couldn't find it for sale online either. I just happen to have about 30lb of 4043 3/32 I gotta use up too...
    4943 has only been out a couple of years and is patented... so.. only Maxal/Hobart has it..

Here is one of the announcements

http://www.marinelink.com/news/paten...ces350264.aspx

Maxal Introduces Patent-Pending 4943 Aluminum Filler Metals

Press Release
    Friday, December 21, 2012

Maxal 4943

Maxal has introduced new patent-pending 4943 aluminum MIG wire and TIG cut-lengths, the first aluminum filler metal to be developed, registered by the Aluminum Association and classified by the American Welding Society (AWS) for wrought commercial applications in over 40 years.

Maxal developed the new product in response to industry demands for a higher-strength aluminum welding solution that also offers the advantages of using a 4043 aluminum filler metal, including excellent corrosion resistance, ease of welding and low hot cracking sensitivity. It is also suitable for elevated temperature applications, and provides the ability to reduce weld size without compromising strength.

Maxal 4943 filler metal features an AWS A5.10 classification, in addition to a filler metal material group allocation of F23 from the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME). Due to its ASME F-number allocation, users may be able to weld with Maxal 4943 aluminum filler metal using the same welding procedure as 4043 products.

Maxal tests have shown up to 40 percent increase in yield strength and up to 20 percent increase in ultimate tensile strength with this product compared to 4043 aluminum products, as well as an increase of approximately 20 percent in shear strength. The filler metal can be used, with advantage, as a direct replacement for 4643 filler metal in post-weld heat treatment applications. Unlike 4043 products, 4943 filler metal does not depend upon dilution from the base metal during welding to increase the strength of the weld deposit. 4943 filler metal can be used for welding 1xxx, 3xxx, 5xxx with less than 2.5%Mg, and 6xxx series base metals.

Maxal 4943 MIG wire offers precisely controlled wire diameter, cast and helix, high column strength and a surface condition that optimizes feedability. The spooled products are available in diameters ranging from .030 to 1/16 inches. TIG cut-lengths also offer excellent weldability and are available in 1/16-, 3/32-, 1/8-, 5/32- and 3/16- inch diameters.

Both products are ideal for welding automotive and motorcycle frames, wheels, furniture, ladders and frames, ship decks, pleasure boats, bicycles, and aerospace applications, as well as for A356.0 casting repairs.

Maxal 4943 aluminum filler metal exhibits low smut and discoloration, similar to 4043 aluminum products, and offers low shrinkage rates and high weld pool fluidity. It also features high-strength characteristics in the post-weld thermally treated condition, when compared to 4043 and 4643 filler metals.