Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    What type of projects do you have in mind?

You really can't beat a wire feeder mig machine like the MM211 for home/hobby stuff.

Where are you located? I heard that Farm & Fleet is having a sale on the Hobart handlers 190 and 210

If you have the coin the Multimatic is a nice machine but quite the $ for a home machine.

... Nice Repo Man reference
    well, i'd like to be capable of doing enough welding/cutting/brazing to support building a house (i know, more carpentry skills needed for that, doing that too) and light fabrication of trailers (i came across literature on how travel trailers didnt exist unless you built it yourself...so I want to make one to my specs as opposed to buying) and general construction.

i work as a software support at a defense contractor. i make about 3 or 4 times as much as I could as a welder, but I want to learn it to shore up my skills. I dont expect to work here forever, im a contractor....but once im out of this field i dont expect to come back. i spent 10 years as a draftsman for an OEM manufacturer and i miss working closely with shop processes to create things. I see a value add to that. I remember pulling my hair out trying to make a design (this was on a 2D cad system....i now support high end 3D systems that have complete welding packages in them) that would satisfy customer requirements AND be capable of being built with a minimum of effort. I was amazed at some of the quality work the welders did....they could make stainless steel structural supports so smooth it looked like it was CNC machined.

after doing that I went to work for a series of IBM business partners supporting and teaching the software at various aerospace manufacturers....Lockheed-Martin, Boeing, Northrop-Grumman, Bell Helicopter, Sikorsky aircraft, Ingalls Shipyards....but always from an educational and support standpoint. i miss creating things

Ive learned enough blueprint reading, GD&T and other industry practices from the design standpoint and now i am seeing how it is implemented on the manufacturing side.

im starting out all over again

....and to think about how we welded on the job way back when. to clarify, i was doing maintenance for an apartment complex and was making steel railings, balconies and stairs for refurbishing. it wasnt anywhere close to strict manufacturing quality. when i read about safety and preparation i am horrified at what we did!

If you can swing the CC program that would be ideal with your long term goals.

Hands on with all of the equipment and then it is easier to make a decision on purchases.

Iffin' ya wanna get to it right away a MM211 would be a good buy, it will still be useful to you in the future.

Mig is easier to get going on your own* where as Tig and O/A would benefit from one on one instruction.

* Mig also has the problem with being too easy that people tend to not really learn it
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    If you can swing the CC program that would be ideal with your long term goals.

Hands on with all of the equipment and then it is easier to make a decision on purchases.

Iffin' ya wanna get to it right away a MM211 would be a good buy, it will still be useful to you in the future.

Mig is easier to get going on your own* where as Tig and O/A would benefit from one on one instruction.

* Mig also has the problem with being too easy that people tend to not really learn it
    that looks like a pretty good welder. for the price i could add a bit more and get a multiprocess machine but since it has gas capability thats a plus.

i was thinking about picking up one of those small lincoln mig machines at home depot that can be fluxcore only or gas....i think there about 400 bucks. probably ok to learn on but when you need to use it on something large and structural (or aluminium, stainless) i guess it wouldnt have the power.

i get to be a voracious information hound at times....when im interested in something that is an unknown, i want to learn all i can about it.

i think a good approach might be to look at the specs and different types of machines used in the industry...and every time something is mentioned that i dont know what it means or does (like why a squarewave?) then learn it, know it.

im in CT and it has one of the two lincoln tech schools for welding in the country.....but its out of my price range for now. local community colleges have year long programs that similarly might be good, but i dont think i could swing at the moment.

ill have to do it all myself. my problem is....where? i rent an apartment here. i could use it at my girlfriends house which is in another state but i'll see what arraingments i can make here. from what ive seen TIG welding looks pretty clean....not much of all the sparks and splatter flying everywhere. i havent seen MIG yet. i still doubt i could do it indoors safely enough

Quote Originally Posted by echinacea View Post
    i was thinking about picking up one of those small lincoln mig machines at home depot that can be fluxcore only or gas....i think there about 400 bucks. probably ok to learn on but when you need to use it on something large and structural (or aluminium, stainless) i guess it wouldnt have the power.
    The 110vac machines are generally considered underpowered for use on critical applications, like trailers.

Also, when an apparently identical product is available at a big-box store and at other suppliers, it generally is believed that the big-box version is substandard in some subtle ways to keep the price down. ymmv.

Quote Originally Posted by echinacea View Post
    ill have to do it all myself. my problem is....where? i rent an apartment here. i could use it at my girlfriends house which is in another state but i'll see what arraingments i can make here. from what ive seen TIG welding looks pretty clean....not much of all the sparks and splatter flying everywhere. i havent seen MIG yet. i still doubt i could do it indoors safely enough
    Sparks and spatter are a part of the danger. There also are fumes. Also you've got this hunk of hot metal that needs to get put down someplace... Finally, when you get out the grinder to smooth things down, you get more sparks and grit than you'd believe.... In short, don't weld inside unless it's in a space that is really properly built/ventilated/etc-ed for it.

Quote Originally Posted by fjk View Post

Sparks and spatter are a part of the danger. There also are fumes. Also you've got this hunk of hot metal that needs to get put down someplace... Finally, when you get out the grinder to smooth things down, you get more sparks and grit than you'd believe.... In short, don't weld inside unless it's in a space that is really properly built/ventilated/etc-ed for it.
    oooh! that begs the question....if you were to fabricate a shop for yourself (when we tie the knot we're getting a house on some property...and MY space will be a shed/workshop of my own creation) what would you include as far as flooring, benches etc? im gonna make one large enough to drive through.