Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: getting shocked

Default getting shocked

I have a syncrowave 250 dx. I'm running on dc- every once in a while when I press the peddle to strike an arc my arm that is resting on my work bench will get shocked. It's extremely annoying and I can't figure out why it does this. It doesn't matter whether it's my torch arm or the other. And it's very random. I can't seem to find a pattern. Does anyone know what might be causing this?

I got popped a couple times the other day, not the first time by a long shot.

If things are damp, that seems to light me up. But the other day I just moved the ground right up next to the work and it didn't happen again.

Good gloves go a long way but won't always prevent it.

I did notice once that the arc was coming right out where the tungsten cap screws down onto the torch. The components seemed ok but that's where the arc would jump out.

good gloves, keep dry, keep a good ground close to work. If all that fails set some wood up to prop on.

It's the high frequency on start up. Wear proper PPE (personal protective equipment) make sure you have a good ground and your equipment is in good repair.
    Miller syncrowave 200 runner with coolmate 4
    and wp2025 weldcraft torch
    Miller 125c plasma cutter

X2 on the high frequency. If you are sweating and gloves get damp it will get you every time. My hands sweat alot so i use seperate gloves for grinding handling etc and then a pair just for actual welding. If it bothers u that much and u are weldind steel u can turn the hf off and scratch start.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by ryarelliott View Post
    I have a syncrowave 250 dx. I'm running on dc- every once in a while when I press the peddle to strike an arc my arm that is resting on my work bench will get shocked. It's extremely annoying and I can't figure out why it does this. It doesn't matter whether it's my torch arm or the other. And it's very random. I can't seem to find a pattern. Does anyone know what might be causing this?
    This sounds normal for TIG... either DON'T rest your arm on the bench or put something insulating between your elbow and the bench...

ask any TIG welder... getting zapped comes with the territory...

even more exciting during the sweaty summer months....

you might try and move your ground (work clamp) directly to your workpiece or as close as you can get it tho shorten the path... that might help some.(as said before)

you might do a search... there have been a lot of threads on it..
    Last edited by H80N; 09-25-2013 at 02:34 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..