Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default What Wire Gauge for Power Cord of Dynasty 350

I am trying to run a 50 ft. power cord to my new dynasty 350. Which wire gauge size I should use for this purpose to ensure I will not overheat anything when welding at high amperages (6 AWG possibly?). I am wiring the welder for single phase to a NEMA 6-50 receptacle (250v). Does the length of my torch and/or the length of my ground have any bearing on the size requirements of this cord? Torch length is 25 ft. and ground is 35 ft. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Doesn't your owners manual have some information about this????
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Default last resort-read the owner's manual

Quote Originally Posted by herynkc View Post
    I am trying to run a 50 ft. power cord to my new dynasty 350. Which wire gauge size I should use for this purpose to ensure I will not overheat anything when welding at high amperages (6 AWG possibly?). I am wiring the welder for single phase to a NEMA 6-50 receptacle (250v). Does the length of my torch and/or the length of my ground have any bearing on the size requirements of this cord? Torch length is 25 ft. and ground is 35 ft. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    If you don't have the owner's manual, you can download it for your reading pleasure and education.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by JSFAB View Post
    Doesn't your owners manual have some information about this????

Quote Originally Posted by dave powelson View Post
    If you don't have the owner's manual, you can download it for your reading pleasure and education.
    The Dyn 350 wants to see 43amps @ 230vac Single phase
    Slo Blo Fuse 50amps...
    MINIMUM Conductor size 8ga.... I am running 6ga for 50ft on mine...
    and would suggest that
    They can be bought premade with molded 6-50 connectors for a reasonable price from many internet suppliers.(think I spent about $120 5years ago)

All that being said.....

TAKE THE ADVICE PREVIOUSLY POSTED...

It is well worth your while to READ and understand your manual.....

The Dynasty IS NOT your Daddy's Syncrowave.... lots to learn and understand..

Much of it will go against what you may think to be TIG gospel...

just plug in your serial number to get the correct version

http://www.millerwelds.com/service/ownersmanuals.php

ALSO... there are some excellent Miller videos on the Dynasty that are well worth viewing... they might save some programming and operational head scratching...

The Dyn 350 is a whole new world... welcome aboard...

BTW... I have been running 25ft torches forever and not seen any problem or degradation... nor have I ever heard of any... My Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner came with a 25ft torch...
    Have never heard of any performance difference between the 25ft and 12ft TIG torches..
    Last edited by H80N; 09-22-2013 at 12:14 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Default tig gospel & the 350

Quote Originally Posted by H80N View Post
    The Dynasty IS NOT your Daddy's Syncrowave.... lots to learn and understand..

Much of it will go against what you may think to be TIG gospel...
    Amen to that!
    There's a good, long learning curve to tailoring the arc on the 350,
    but it's worth the effort.

Manual says 8 AWG with 108 ft. max input conductor length. So I think sizing it up to 6 AWG? should keep things safe under high amperages.

Match the cord size (AWG) that is on the machine, you'd be surprised its probably 10 awg. or maybe 8 awg

You also have to take into count duty cycle
    MM 211 W/ Spoolgun
    Diversion 180
    Spectrum 375 X-TREME
    Portable Victor O/A
    Palmgren Bench Drill Press
    14" Evolution Dry Saw
    IR 60 Gal. 3 HP Compressor
    Speedglas 9100x
    My Brain

Quote Originally Posted by herynkc View Post
    Manual says 8 AWG with 108 ft. max input conductor length. So I think sizing it up to 6 AWG? should keep things safe under high amperages.
    8 is minimum

6 certainly wont hurt
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus