Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: AR500 steel

Default AR500 steel

Can someone tell me what AR500 is and if it can be welded by my Millermatic 180 with mix. It seems to be a trade name but I can't find what alloy of steel it consists of. If it is stainless I don't want to try to weld it with my regular mig wire and Ar/CO2 gas. Thanks, Chuck

MM180
    Plasma 375
    Grizzly Band Saw
    Diamond Gas Forge

Hey cpbeattie,
    A Google search will reveal lots of data.

http://www.chapelsteel.com/ar500-ar500f.html

I've used it to make silhouette targets for our shooting range. With a Millermatic 180, you could do 3/16"(.187) & possibly 1/4"(.250) with beveling. Clean metal produces optimum results.

Denny
    * Complete welding, machine, & fab shop *
    * Mobile unit *
    * Finally retired *

* A man's word is his honor..... without honor, there is nothing. *
    * Words are like bullets..... once they leave your muzzle, you cannot get them back. *
    * I have no reservation to kill nor hesitation to die for the U.S. Constitution & the American Flag. *
    * Age is a state of mind..... at my age, you cannot fathom what is in my mind. *

AR500 is a wear plate typically used in abrasion/impact on Heavy equipment and mining applications ie chute liners etc. There are many companies that produce this type of plate but it is all designed to do basically the same thing.

What thickness are you wanting to weld? Fillet, Groove??? Need more info to help! Anything 1/4" or thicker with the MM180 is going to be really hard for you to accomplish as Denny already instructed. Better bet would be to rent or borrow a SMAW machine and burn some 5/32 or larger LH rods if it is 3/8" or thicker material. You can weld the AR plate to mild steel also. And in my experience any AR plate under 1/2" is very uncommon, but then again I am smashing F550 sized rock into the liners we use!

The process I use on 1" and up to 2" is 200 pre heat and not over 400 interpass, ER70S-3 95-5 argon-CO2 29V 585IPM. You can also use a Low Hydrogen electrode (stick) in anything from E7018 to E11018 depending on application.

AR / Abrasion Risistant comes in many forms, As produced, Work-hardened, Over-layed..and others... I've welded a lot of AR400 in the mining field, don't know the specs for 500, but assuming it close. It does need a good pre heat. 200 might be a little cold for some types, AR400 likes 250f to 350f depending on the manufacture, but the inter pass temps (like mentioned previously) are important. AR plate generally welds best with an 80xx filler Low/hyd, with good elongation. Not to say you can't weld it with less, but an 80ksi filler with 28% or better, (34 in some cases) elongation will do the trick, and if in colder climates the addition of nickel helps. It welds to any grade of steel for it's application, but the weld procedure must be followed or otherwise the AR plate will probably crack around the welds at the HAZ. AR Plate welds to other types of AR plates, to QT100, and to all mild steel using the right electrode and procedure.
    Jonny

Dynasty 300DX
    Esab PCM 1000

turbo38t Guest

AR500 is real hard. I'd recommend a 70 series wire if just for welding the plates together but if they need to take a beating on the weld move up to a 110 series or so. I preheat and then wrap in a blanket when done(like I do with cast). I have also used stainless to weld this for targets with the same preheat (200+) and wrap when done. Dave

Smile Ar500

Thanks for all the information regarding welding AR500. It is 3/8 inch and comes from a target range. Someone used a too highly powered bullet and destroyed quite a few targets. Like, wouldn't you have thought he/she would have quit after blasting a hole through one? I'm heating, flattening, and filling in the holes. Not too sure how long the filled holes/cracks will last as they are mild steel from the MM180. I will try GMAW too with the advice you have given me. Appreciate the help as does our target range director. Chuck

Default AR500 Targets

Welding AR500 steel is a bad idea. First it causes a reheat and improper heat treatment of heat treated steel. That nullifies the properties or AR steel. Secondly when the bullet hits steel it flexes eventually breaking the weld. Check out www.grizzlytargets.com for the best AR500 steel targets. They use grade 8 bolts. They galvanize everything but the target faces. They laser cut to preserve hardness at the edges, and they will provide a mill certification. I've bought several targets from Grizzly and they last.

We just finished a job at a local plywood mill re lining a reject wood conveyer trough with AR400 wear plate. We laid 60 feet of 1/2" wear plate in the conveyer trough and stitch welded it all in with 5/32 7018 and 70s6 mig .045 co2. We then installed all new drag chain.
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 stick/tig
    Miller Bluestar 2E
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Torchmate CNC table

Ironworker Welder
    Operating engineer
    Owner/Operator Devlin Metal Works
    Custom CNC Plasma Cutting and Welding

Default http://www.grizzlytargets.com sells the best Ar500 steel target.

Quote Originally Posted by fiftyyrds View Post
    Welding AR500 steel is a bad idea. First it causes a reheat and improper heat treatment of heat treated steel. That nullifies the properties or AR steel. Secondly when the bullet hits steel it flexes eventually breaking the weld. Check out www.grizzlytargets.com for the best AR500 steel targets. They use grade 8 bolts. They galvanize everything but the target faces. They laser cut to preserve hardness at the edges, and they will provide a mill certification. I've bought several targets from Grizzly and they last.

http://www.grizzlytargets.com sells the best Ar500 steel target.