Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Maxstar 200 SD Wiring Question

Hello All,
    Picked up a new to me Maxstar 200 and would like to inquire if anyone here knows the proper internal power connection? This unit has a 16 foot power cord with a 50 amp dryer plug attached, and a home made 50 amp to standard 110 pigtail. The unit runs connected to 110. I would like to run it on 230, but would like to make sure it is wired correctly. The fact that it has a long power cord makes me think it has a non Miller addition to it. I want to make sure I plug it in to 230 I dont fry it. If anyone can help it would be much appreciated. I can post pictures here, or email them, of the existing connections.
    Thanks
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by kendog View Post
    Hello All,
    Picked up a new to me Maxstar 200 and would like to inquire if anyone here knows the proper internal power connection? This unit has a 16 foot power cord with a 50 amp dryer plug attached, and a home made 50 amp to standard 110 pigtail. The unit runs connected to 110. I would like to run it on 230, but would like to make sure it is wired correctly. The fact that it has a long power cord makes me think it has a non Miller addition to it. I want to make sure I plug it in to 230 I dont fry it. If anyone can help it would be much appreciated. I can post pictures here, or email them, of the existing connections.
    Thanks
    Ken
    That Maxstar senses the voltage and adjusts it has Auto-Line Power Management Technology

Here is a link to the manual... just plug in your serial number to get the right version..

http://www.millerwelds.com/service/ownersmanuals.php

As far as proper 230vac wiring.. here is a link to wiring a 6-50
    look at post #34 good diagram.. (wiring is the same for the Maxstar & Dynasty 200)

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...in-smoke/page4
    Last edited by H80N; 09-20-2013 at 02:54 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Thanks.
    I have all that. What I am interested in is the connection inside the machine.
    Where do the wires land for single phase 230 power. I am trying to determine if this machine has been altered.

Quote Originally Posted by kendog View Post
    Thanks.
    I have all that. What I am interested in is the connection inside the machine.
    Where do the wires land for single phase 230 power. I am trying to determine if this machine has been altered.
    Try the schematic in the back of the manual...

http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o2226as_mil.pdf

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Just don't use the red, black and white only. Nothing in the machine to look at....

Thanks H80N and cruizer. I have the schematics, but dont understand them that well.
    So, L1 (black) and L2 (white) of 230 single phase landed on 1 and 2 of the switch, and 3 at the switch with nothing, because there is no third or red wire?
    Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yep, L1 & L2, nadda on L3. as thats for 3 phase.

This one has black on L1 and white on L3. The extra long power cord made me suspicious that someone was in there.
    Any advise?

THAT IS WRONG!!!!! L1 & L2 only!

I agree. It runs now, though I havent welded with it. Could it be damaged being wired this way? As I said, I dont savvy schematics all thet well. The L1,L2,L3 run from left to right in my picture, according to the corresponding wires from the switch to the circuit board. So I take white off of L3 at the switch and land it on L2 and I am good?

Also, I am assuming it will run better on 230. Is that correct?
    Thanks for the time.
    Ken