Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Dynasty 350 unexpected shutdown

Yesterday in Welding Class, I was demonstrating my favorite machine in the shop - the Dynasty 350. Right after showing some aluminum welding, the machine powered down, as if someone had shut off the power source. No tripped breaker, input power cable checks out okay. What should I look at next? This machine is 2-3 years old, when I get to school, I'll post the serial number if that would help figure out this problem. Thanks

Default Dynasty 350 unexpected shutdown

I had the same problem. Had an intermittent interruption in input power caused by a failing breaker that caused the welder go into a restart cycle. Took weeks to find the problem. Change input power source and see if problem continues. If it does, welder has a problem.

First of all plug the unit in somewhere else, second take it to a authorized Miller welder repair facility.

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried plugging into a different circuit, but no signs of life. I recently sent off a Syncrowave 250 for repairs - we were having circulation problems with a water cooled torch. $700 for a bad switch, new coolant and replacement of the Tig torch. Being a school, I was hoping to hear that the switch is a common problem on these Dynasty welders or something less expensive like that. Anyone have any other ideas? Thanks again.

It's ahhhh, under warranty Don't fudge with it.

That circuit may be faulty. Have it checked. A bad breaker could be messing up your input current.
    Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
    3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
    Miller Dynasty200DX
    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
    MillerMatic350P
    MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
    MKCobraMig260
    Lincoln SP-170T
    Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
    Hypertherm 1250
    Hypertherm 800
    PlasmaCam CNC cutter
    Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
    SiberHegner CNC Mill
    2 ea. Bridgeport
    LeBlond 15" Lathe
    Haberle 18" Cold Saw
    Doringer 14" Cold Saw
    6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

We have six 3-phase 208V - 30 amp circuits in the shop - the Dynasty does not work on any. Researching the serial number, our machine was manufactured in 2008 (LJ....) so I would imagine the warranty is gone. Time flies and all.... Thanks again for the suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Stringpusher View Post
    We have six 3-phase 208V - 30 amp circuits in the shop - the Dynasty does not work on any. Researching the serial number, our machine was manufactured in 2008 (LJ....) so I would imagine the warranty is gone. Time flies and all.... Thanks again for the suggestions.
    Your first stop should be the place you bought it anyway. Depending on the problem Miller might warrantee it anyway. But you have to ask....
    Con Fuse!
    Miller Dynasty 350
    Millermatic 350P
    -Spoolmatic 30A

Hypertherm PowerMax 1000G3
    Miller Multimatic 200 - awesome portable MIG (and stick and TIG)
    Miller Maxstar 200DX - portable TIG and stick

Default 350 power input requirements?

Quote Originally Posted by Stringpusher View Post
    If you haven't downloaded the owner's manual, this would help.
    When all else fails....read the instructions.
    Maybe even check the power input requirements of other machines connected
    to this circuitry?

Quick check of the 'electrical service guide' section 4-9 shows 40-50 amp min. fuse rating required for 208 3 phase and offers other pertinent information.

Ensuring sufficient power is available to the machine as the manual states,
    'Notice-INCORRECT INPUT POWER can damage this welding power source.....'

I'm thinkin, an unexpected shutdown without error codes has little to do with the welder, and alot to do with the cord end. Might want to take the cord end apart. I see WAY TOO MANY machines with the primary real loose and/or pulled out of the connectors. May also be a damaged machine on/off switch as well.

Very, very unlikely to be much else as these machines are error sensitive, so would pull an error code before simply shutting down