Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default pitting in aluminum weld

Hello, I have been having a few issues with aluminum lately, the worst being pitting in the weld, that has been driving me nuts. All of these issues only happen with a newer welder that I bought. THe welder in question is a 250 Snycrowave (sn# lg480049l). T weld looks ok on the outside, a little grainy and dull, but the bead is filled will gas pockets that only come out when ground down. Material is 6061 or cast mold plate, I am using both 4043 and 5056 and have the same issues. thicknesses vary from 1/4 to up to 4" thick. some times I pre heat sometimes not. I have tried pure, thoriated and ceriated and have the same issues. I like to weld hot, but very my amps as needed with the pedal. Filler and base materials cleaned with acetone and SS brush or scotch brite pad. Attached is a picture of the pitting.

I will try to make a sample tomorrow with more accurate info for amperage, material, cleaning, rod, ect with a before and after grinding.

here is a mold plate that got filled, and then scrapped because of all the pitting issues.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Is the new welder near a door or window??

could you be getting a breeze blowing off some of your argon coverage??

How many CFH Argon are you running??

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Possibly contaminated gas? Try changing out the gas cylinder and see if the problem goes away.
    Miller syncrowave 200 runner with coolmate 4
    and wp2025 weldcraft torch
    Miller 125c plasma cutter

THe welder, is not in a area where there is air flow, I have no issues with contamination welding steel/stainless. I have tried multiple CFH for 12 to 20. I suppose it could be a gas issue, but I have never been able to make this machine weld like my older 250 snyc. I have never had pitting, but the weld has been grainy and dull, no matter what I do with ac balance and filler.

Quote Originally Posted by Whetstone View Post
    THe welder, is not in a area where there is air flow, I have no issues with contamination welding steel/stainless. I have tried multiple CFH for 12 to 20. I suppose it could be a gas issue, but I have never been able to make this machine weld like my older 250 snyc. I have never had pitting, but the weld has been grainy and dull, no matter what I do with ac balance and filler.
    Porosity in aluminum is caused by one thing and one thing only: Hydrogen.

There are many causes for the trapped hydrogen but the machine is not one of them. Neither is the type of tungsten used.

Griff

Where would hydrogen be coming from? Not enough pre-heat?

I've had contaminated gas weld fine on steel, stainless ect but on aluminum it really gets nasty. Just change the bottle out and try another test piece.
    Miller syncrowave 200 runner with coolmate 4
    and wp2025 weldcraft torch
    Miller 125c plasma cutter

I just did a little bit of goggleing, and it says that hydrogen comes from water vapor or grease. In the case of the mold plate it was definitely hot, especially by the time I got through half of it. I cleaned both the mold and rod with SS brush/scotch brite and acetone. The only place grease could be coming from is my gloves, which some times handle dirty steel. Generally I like to have two pairs of gloves, but am running on one pair now.

While I am not blaming these issues on the welder I have never been able to make it produce satisfactory aluminum welds.

attached are some recent welds that are also grainy and dull, but dont have the porosity issues (material is 1/4 x 2 6061)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Whetstone View Post
    Where would hydrogen be coming from? Not enough pre-heat?
    Here is a MILLER video on the subject of "Aluminum Porosity"

it's Causes and how to avoid/minimize it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu3BtdERmFM

By Tony Anderson, Head of Aluminum Technology Miller/ITW
    Last edited by H80N; 09-17-2013 at 06:51 AM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..