Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Upgrading from Spectrum 875 to Spectrum 875 Auto-Line

Hello,

I have a Spectrum 875 and have been extremely happy with it, but I realized that I need an auto-line version of my cutter for a CNC table we are building. Does anyone know if it's possible to upgrade my machine? It seems like the difference is just a control board.

Thanks

Simple answer is no. The standard spectrum appears to be 208 / 230 single phase only. The auto line runs on 208 to 575 single or three phase.
    The input power sections on these machines are way different.
    The only reason to get the auto-line is you have to run on line power over 245 volts.
    Glenn 300 amp stick
    Millermatic 35
    L-tec plasma

Yep, NO WAY!, and another reason to have auto line, is if there are heavy current draw machine in or around the area. the auto line does'nt care what the actual voltage drop or surge is, and will remain always the same output power.

Oh, interesting. So, I don't really care about the input voltage, I just want something that can be controllable by a CNC. From what I understand, the Auto-Line allows for a CNC to regulate the output voltage. Is there another way accomplish this without upgrading to the Auto-Line? Our power input is pretty stable, and 220 works just fine.

Nope, Autoline merely controls the INPUT power to the 875. CNC has zero to do with that.

Again though you don't really need it if you have no heavy current draw machines around, like in an industrial shop. The Autolink devices will shut down, if the line voltage is drawn down too much. and if it does manage to switch to a lower voltage, the voltage surge was known to blow many machines up . Autoline relys on frequency, so again it doesn't care much

To run a unit like this on a cnc. Most people just break into the trigger circuit.
    I don't think either models have CSR contacts. Higher end CNCs look at arc voltage can start the arc, look for a contact closer when arc has transferred, to start motion. Top of the line units can adjust output current to match plate size when selected on the CNC. Saw one demonstrated. Quite impressive.
    Glenn 300 amp stick
    Millermatic 35
    L-tec plasma