Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quote Originally Posted by HMW View Post
    Ordered a plasma cutter from cyber weld. It works fine. Was truck shipped. I agree, I would rather buy from a local vendor but $300.00 is alot and no tax, free shipping. Sorta like buying lumber from Home depot instead of your local hardware store. Sometimes they just cannot compete
    Home depot, yuck! But I end up going there anyway myself. I've been lucky having good local dealers for gasses and welding supplies close by, like Harris Industrial Gasses, and Barnes welding Supply, both of which always come through. Sales tax is a big issue but even with that they can often work with me on the price to take the bite out of it.
    2006 Dynasty 200DX
    2003 Lincoln 175 Plus
    1940's 400LB buzz box
    2004, 1979 Victor 100F, ox/ac

Quote Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
    Home depot, yuck! But I end up going there anyway myself. I've been lucky having good local dealers for gasses and welding supplies close by, like Harris Industrial Gasses, and Barnes welding Supply, both of which always come through. Sales tax is a big issue but even with that they can often work with me on the price to take the bite out of it.
    My point about Homedepot was with lumber, not welding supplies. Although I have bought small pieces of aluminum for a little repair there. I have a good dealer for gas and expedables, they treat me fair but just cannot compete on some things. So........I do as much business with them as I can but when it comes to $300 I have to look elsewhere. They know deal. Example. My father is a Toro lawn equipment dealer, he pays for a Toro push mower what Homedepot sells a toro push mower for. How can you compete with that. Unfortunatley the Home Depots/ Lowes/wal-marts have pushed the small guys out. Sad, but free enterprise I guess.
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

Example. My father is a Toro lawn equipment dealer, he pays for a Toro push mower what Homedepot sells a toro push mower for. How can you compete with that. Unfortunatley the Home Depots/ Lowes/wal-marts have pushed the small guys out. Sad, but free enterprise I guess.[/QUOTE]

Yep, so very true. I don't mind paying a little more at the little shops but on those big ticket items just the sales tax is a big pop. The only way the little guy can commpete is by giving better service. Example: I have a farm in Oregon and my irrigation system has been giving me fits so I called a guy in Eugene 50 miles away that came highly recomended. The company was named, Pacific Ag Systems, and explamed my problem. Ty, the owner, said, I'll be out your way thursday and can bring what I think you will need, I can also help you check things out. He did, and didn't charge me a dime except for the parts I needed. That happened last year. Last week I went to his store to pick up a presure switch for the irrigation pump and Ty said he owed me money. He asked me if I remembered the extra gaskets I had bought that were wrong for my system, I said no, he said well you did and I owe you for them. I didn't care about the few bucks for those gaskets but Ty did, he remembered and I got my credit. Its good to have local businesses like these around even if it does cost a few bucks more. Well more bucks?? Not sure about that, if you were to put a value on the expertise and assistance they often provide like Ty did above, we may find that it is actually cheaper in the long run. How many times have you gone to HD and bought tons of crap for a job you didn't need? I know I've doen this many times.
    2006 Dynasty 200DX
    2003 Lincoln 175 Plus
    1940's 400LB buzz box

Interesting you talk about service. Home depot can't fix a thing. Yet they sell them and we're supposed to warranty them. That sucks. Fortunatly most issues with new mowers is the owners own doing so very little is actual warranty. Service is all the smaller shops can do. We have a very good reputation for fixing what others can't [won't] fix so thats where the moneys at. Not cheap mind you, but fixed.
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

[ Service is all the smaller shops can do. We have a very good reputation for fixing what others can't [won't] fix so thats where the moneys at. Not cheap mind you, but fixed.[/QUOTE]

Yep, pricey at first glance, but when you add up all the other visits to the shop for help and advice without charge, help which dosen't exsist at HD, makes the cost very cheap in the long run. Not to mention the savings from making fwer trips wasting money on junk you didn't need. Hey, I often will plunk down the extra cash to buy locally just cause of the past help I've gotten free, that is if I have the money.
    2006 Dynasty 200DX
    2003 Lincoln 175 Plus
    1940's 400LB buzz box

I got my miller 210 Dual kit from them 2 weeks ago. they drop ship from millers closest warehouse to your location on new welders, I am in Washington and it came out of warshouse in Portland OR. The small stuff they UPS to you and pack it well.. It is just some of the factory small stuff that gets dropshipped to you the factory that could be packed and wrap better.

Makes you wonder why UPS charges an additional $2 per box to a residential address, when those are the boxes that they are the most cavelier with. They give much more professional service to the commercial deliveries, and those are the guys that are far more likely to make them wait while the shipment is inspected (read: "take more time.")