Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default I sure like my Spoolmatic 30A

Welded this bracket to protect my transducer on my pontoon boat.

Preheating with a propane torch makes a huge difference for a small project like this. Had a little porosity issue though. I set the machine at 25 volts & 530 wire speed the my MM 252. Wire size was .035. Gas flow 25.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Syncrowave 200
    Millermatic 252
    Spoolmatic 30A aluminum gun
    Miller Spectrum 625 X-Treme
    Maxstar 150 S
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Sketchup 8 Pro

Two big fire extinguishers

"I'm a slow walker, but I never walk backwards" - Abraham Lincoln

Looks pretty good. Good idea

Cool

Nice...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

May as well put a brace from above down to the bend at around 45 degrees. Might keep someone from trying to use it as a foot step in and out of the water.

People just don't think about what they are climbing on.

Looks good man! Looks you got a pretty nice fish finder on your boat. I'm amazed with the clarity you can get now with some of the 3d mapping. See actual trees,brush and rock piles on the bottom. Heck, seems like you could almost treasure hunt with them. Lol

good idea. I have the same spool gun you do. I like mine too. But what I really what is one of those push-pull guns. Too expensive though.

I almost bought a spool gun a few months ago and still kind of want one. But I guess if I had pulled the trigger I would have only used it once other than practice.

I know its to late to run out and get it when the need arrives because you have not got used to it. Guess I'm getting a little tired of buying equipment and not using it.

Post more welds with it when you can, I already went to the end of the web and back but haven't seen enough spool gun work to make myself get one.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardrock40 View Post
    I almost bought a spool gun a few months ago and still kind of want one. But I guess if I had pulled the trigger I would have only used it once other than practice.

I know its to late to run out and get it when the need arrives because you have not got used to it. Guess I'm getting a little tired of buying equipment and not using it.

Post more welds with it when you can, I already went to the end of the web and back but haven't seen enough spool gun work to make myself get one.

Yea, I'll post some more when I do another project. I use my Syncrowave 200 for thinner aluminum, but found that when I need to weld the heavier stuff, the Spoolmatic works great. Preheating is the key I believe. The aluminum flows in the joint like solder in an electrical connection. I don't have much experience with these spool guns, but I picked up on it quickly.
    Syncrowave 200
    Millermatic 252
    Maxstar 150 S
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Sketchup 8 Pro

Default An aluminum dog gate built using the Spoolmatic

One of these days I'll post a close up of the actual weld using the Spoolmatic. I realize these guns are expensive, but the welds go lightning fast compared to using my tig welder.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Syncrowave 200
    Millermatic 252
    Maxstar 150 S
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Sketchup 8 Pro