Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Aluminum 2 car trailer.

Ok so I've been n the market for a new trailer for a while now. Can't find what I want for a reasonable amount of $$ so time to build. It's shaping up to be 34-38' deck by 96"-102" width with partially recessed/ drive over wheel wells. Still debating weather I want a full deck or just where a cars wheels would fall only opposition is added cost, possibly extruded Al decking?? Should end up sitting on 2 7k torsion axles.

For the frame I'm thinking 6" channel with an additional 6" piece for the A- frame continued all the way to just fwd of axels. Or possible 10-12" channel the whole way with 6" A-frame cut through fwd and welded to inside of side beams.

Before everyone comments on why I can't or shouldn't do this. A little history on me I own a company that builds aluminum marine gangways from 8-80' in length every day. The main use is I want to be able to deliver a 45' gangway on the back of a 1 ton, fwd elevated over the bed. And move my other toys on the weekends. So I highly doubt it will ever see a much over 8k lbs.

You mean like THIS ?
    MillerMatic 211 Auto-set w/MVP
    Just For Home Projects.

Cool

Sounds like a plan. Don't let us talk you out of it. Take some pics...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

More of a flat deck trailer, Than a wedge. Might end up with a small dove tail just because of the added height of the channel vs a steel trailer witch us usually 6". Think I attached a picture of what I'm thinkin.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Capewelder View Post
    More of a flat deck trailer, Than a wedge. Might end up with a small dove tail just because of the added height of the channel vs a steel trailer witch us usually 6". Think I attached a picture of what I'm thinkin.
    Oh, I took your comment about needing the catwalk to overhang the truck bed as needing a wedge...plus look at all the inclosed storage that you get with it for incidentals.
    MillerMatic 211 Auto-set w/MVP
    Just For Home Projects.