Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Anyone using a double-cut/demolition saw?

I found one of these things on close-out at Lowe's (because of too few buyers) and thought I'd take a chance. If you haven't seen one, they look at first glance like some kind of hopped up "skilsaw" (standard hand-held wood-cutting circular saw) or worm-drive saw. But on closer inspection you see they have dual carbide insert blades that counter-rotate side-by-side.

I'm guessing that the original motivation was to make an ordinary wood saw that reduced or eliminated kickback. That property wouldn't interest me much, since I have no big problem using the old-style saws. But it was found that the counter-rotating carbide blades will gnaw through darn-near anything, not just wood but sheet steel, aluminum, copper, and even stainless. THAT got my interest, since stainless can be a bugger to deal with unless you have a plasma cutter handy. Oh, and you can buy diamond blades for doing masonry and tile.

A curious feature is a little roller-wheel in a seemingly useless location. Turns out that is a manual thumbwheel for feeding in a lubricant stick when you are cutting metals, sort of like you occasionally had to punch the chain-oiler button on older chainsaws.

I just got this thing and haven't tried it yet. It's one of the bigger ones, with 6 1/2" blades. Have any of you found one of these to be a go-to tool for any frequent purpose?

I'm told that these were advertised on TV (I don't watch) for a while, and that the infommercial featured the saw being used to cut a car in half in about ten minutes. I'm guessing that rescue crews pulling folks out of wrecked cars would not use these because of sparks. But just imagine an ad for a local hot-rod shop, with the owner standing out front, revving up his demolition-saw, and saying, "Ya wanna top-chop? Channeling? Sectioning? Hey, we got it all covered right here!!"

www.dualsaw.com I see Harbor Freight has a smaller one, 5" blades, on sale at about $55
    Last edited by old jupiter; 09-13-2013 at 12:50 PM.

Used them for cutting expanded metal sheets. Works great
    Syncrowave 250
    Millermatic 210
    dialarc 250
    spectrum 375x
    trailblazer 302
    Lincoln 135

Hadn't thought of that, thanks!

After posting, I happened to drive by a local scrapyard. I went in, showed them my shiny new saw, and then said, "Can I try this out on some of your scrap?" They said, "Sure, we'd like to see how it works, maybe we should have one." First item they brought me was a cast aluminum automotive V-8 intake manifold (nothing valuable). The saw went right through it; no drama, nice little chips. I did aim it to avoid the steel pipe fittings. Next I said, "I gotta try some stainless." "No prob, here's some stainless commercial kitchen equipment try cutting off this leg." Again, no drama, cut right on through effortlessly, even including the steel bolt that was in the middle of the leg.

I think this might prove to be a useful acquisition. Meanwhile, it sure is a conversation piece.

You should take a picture of a cut so we can see how it looks. How accurate does it seem to be?

For some reason, these saws do not come with a baseplate, so you can't hold the saw at a stable right angle, or whatever angle. Unless there is an accessory baseplate, or I fabricate something, I won't be expecting to do close work. Even with a baseplate, the sawn edge will be rough, but if I can set a temporary "fence" as we do when flame cutting, the saw might give an acceptable result for many jobs.

I don't know how to post photos. For fifty or sixty bucks, HF will sell you a new saw, for hours of fun.