Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I mig weld power transformers all day and used to wear the ****ies shop pants mainly to keep cooler but they would be destroyed every couple of months. I decided to try out the Duluth Co. Firehose 5 pocket Jeans. I don't need all the pockets because I'm doing shop work and all my tools are 3 feet behind me and I liked the heaver material used. I tested them out for a few months and I now have 2 more pairs. Love them. They don't get too hot, the crotch gusset really actually helps when I need to move all sorts of ways to get a weld and the back of the knees don't bunch up like regular jeans do. It also helps that I live close to the stores and it's a Wisconsin company. Win win.

Also, anyone wondering how much UV rays get emitted from welding should look at my pants. They are a dark brown and have the popular "faded" look just where the light hits. It always amazes me how people would pay $100$ on a pair of jeans that look like my work pants after a few months of welding haha.

Out of curiosity how much longer does FR clothing last vs regular work wear? Long enough to make it worth double the money? It should be double money double durability right?

I wear key work carpenter jeans and wrangler khaki pearl snaps shirts ( the thick ones) .

I've been working with a Mexican guy who wears a t shirt and jeans to weld in and uses the excuse that he is dark so he will be affected differently. Everyday he leaves fried! You can't expect longevity when you live for the moment.

Default duluth

Ive had 4 pairs of their firehose pants. Two replaced the originals i bought. They will be fine if you are in weeds all day. If you weld decking, or any structural iron they do not last me 3 wears. I can actually wear down a pair in a 40 hour week. Ive ripped the crotch out, i used a quickie saw cutting material and caught them on fire. Burnt half the leg off before i knew what was burning. I just buy shirts off uniform guy who gets old work shirts, i like carhartt jeans, but wranglers will do