Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Whats your preferred work wear

I've been a long time fan of Carrharrts but the price keeps going up.

I wear out 2 - 3 pairs of overalls per year.
    I tried Duluth Firehose Overalls and they are more wear resistant but the pockets suck for what I carry. They do not hold screwdrivers, wrenches, or even sharpies well because the pockets are too shallow.

Folks claim Filson is the next step up. But its a big step at $275 / pr. Will they last 3 times longer?

Any other brands I should consider?

Thanks!!!!

I like bib overalls or jeans with long sleeve shirts...

BUT no matter what %100 COTTON...

no polyesters or blends....

have had enough melted clothing stuck to my skin for several lifetimes....

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Default Whats your preferred work wear

I wear Pointer(100% made in America, factory is a few miles away actually)bib overalls. Sometimes I'm lucky and find the logger ones with double knees. 100% cotton shirt either short or long depending on temps.
    I've also worn Gravel Gear(northerntool) and C.E. Schmidt ( tracsuply) with good results.
    I'm surprised about the Duluth trading ones. That was gonna be my next purchase but not now. Filson are the top of the line at top of the dollar. If I were wearing them I would be scared to get them dirty at $275. Their hats look sweet as sugar too.

When I say the Firehose pants are more wear resistant than Carharrt; I mean barely.

You could not put stick welding rod or a combination square in the leg pockets on either side.
    Look closely at the cargo pocket design. The tool pocket is only 5" deep and placed on more forward. Almost on the knee.
    http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/m...lls/18102.aspx

If you can get around that, They are worth a shot.

Thanks for recommending the other brands.
    I'm learning that uniform black is in minority for overalls. Lame.

Default Work wear

Carhartt....but lately Big Bill which were made in Canada lighter than Carhartt (summer heat ) no front patch pockets but alas now made off shore....liked the filson but always wonderd about the oil water proofing around all the sparks, heat ect

You could look at baileysonline.com I've bought double front wild ass jeans from them and I liked them but I found them heavy in the hot weather. They have a wide variety of work wear, just another place to compare prices.---Meltedmetal

Shirtsless shorts & sandals .
    With my silver miller hood.
    Miller Bobcat 225NT onan
    Millermatic 211
    Spoolmate 100
    (Retapped to fit regular mig tips)
    Work better & less parts to stock.
    Miller 130xp
    T/A Dragster 85 (portability 11 pounds)
    Oxygen/Acetylene torch set 50'
    2. 4-1/2" grinders
    1. 9" grinder
    14" Makita chop saw
    1/2" Aircat impact gun 900#

Default Bailey's.

Just don't get caught in the rain for the first few weeks with the "wild ass" jeans. You will turn into a smurf. But for the $ they get my vote. Deluth also only has 5 belt loops and tend to start the day too tight and end a bit stretched out. I have a six year old pair of pinstripe "Roundhouse" brand bibs that is goofy looking but great in hot weather. Classic blue or short sleeve black ****ie shirt just keep growing on me.

Quote Originally Posted by eecervantes83 View Post
    Shirtsless shorts & sandals .
    With my silver miller hood.
    When I sold tools, I called on a 4X4 shop. The owner did all of his fabricating with a Miller Mig, wearing cut off jeans and nothing else.

At most I run 5-6 rods on a typical project but when I know I will be doing some big deposition I suit up with some really ugly yellow welding jacket. I would like to see if Miller would market something between the extremes of polo shirt to leather. NY has a fracking ban but if I ever get a chance I will buy some oilfield gear for a work uniform.