Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default You knew somebody would bring it up

Alaskan Steel Men

Have you watched it and what did you think?

Hey, the forum does say welding discussion, but if you guys don't like it in here, lets just not discuss it and let it fall to the bottom.

I know its built up with a bunch of TV drama and producers think that's necessary to have a show.
    Liked the use of the wooden wedges and welding right over them. Never been around that type of thing.

Little bit confused about the star being a "Master Welder" Never heard of that.

I did like the statement of, anybody can weld in the shop, out here is a different story.

Well, those guys may visit the forum, they use Miller. Try to be nice.

Well, like most of the shows of this type. There is only enough welding to justify the title and sparks are pretty. After that it's more about under qualified workers barely getting the job done. And yes, I know that that is the best way to get drama to develop. Qualified welders working hard doing a good job can be pretty boring.

I have also dug trucks out of the snow. But I always dug out all 4 wheels. I hope they will lean more towards Dangerous Catch which seems more interesting than the Ax Men and less contrived.

This has got to be one of the worst shows I've seen in awhile.

Complete garbage.

The apprentice gets Arc Eye, boss said " I kept telling you to wear your sunglasses"

You're the phucking boss- no work continues until YOUR employee wears the correct PPE.

Next scene they are in the engine room on a boat and the other apprentice has his safety glasses on top of his hat and using his hand to block the light.

Geniuses on that crew.

Practical jokes- for me, never while working- just plain stupid.
    After work, sure but nothing that could possibly get someone hurt.
    1. Some one can get hurt
    2. You'll be down a hand when they do get hurt- not very smart since you'll be the one picking up the slack while they recover.

No thanks
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

LOL,,,,
    well looks like you guys did watch it, just went to get dad out of the bed, came back and got to laugh some. I needed that.

Yea some pretty slack things going on thats for sure.

Default You knew somebody would bring it up

What's next?? Alaskan Caribou Herders!!! It's really dangerous. Ya know, since that guy got gored and lived last week. TV is just like Obama policy on Syria, grasping at straws!
    Just keep Deadliest Catch goin. Those guys are hardcore!

Even my girlfriend was laughing at those bumb a$$es. But when the show started it did say something about dramatization, I'll have to look at it again, but what boobs

I was wondering when it would be mentioned also. It's like a frozen OCC. Working 20 ft above the deck with no tie offs?. No safety glasses..welding over wood?.Wouldn't a patch be better?
    Miller Syncrowave 180
    Miller 211 w/ spool-gun
    Lincoln AC/DC buzzbox
    Cutmaster 38 plasma
    Oxy/Acet torch
    DeWalt Multi-Cutter
    Fiber Metal Helmets(old school)
    Enough Snap-On to be a dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisa7164 View Post
    It's like a frozen OCC.
    Best description yet

I'll bet if you look at the show site comments, many people seem to love it. Mo stupid, Mo bettah. I'm thinking these are the people who actually watch the ads and buy that crap.
    Miller stuff:
    Dialarc 250 (1974)
    Syncrowave 250 (1992)
    Spot welder (Dayton badged)

I watched it and it's rather entertaining, actually. If they were doing everything right, there wouldn't be much to talk about.

Of course, most of that stuff is staged but I especially enjoyed the scene where the lady's company had built a custom hydraulic accumulator tank for a fisherman and he cancelled the check. She had her men go out and repossess the tank until he paid.
    Makes for good entertainment. even if it's sort of staged.

One thing I wondered about is how they run a hydroelectric plant without at least one full-time millwright who can also weld and machine. They were complaining about the cost of downtime but they would save money if they had a welder on board who could fix those problems and cut downtime to a minimum.
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Milermatic 252
    Lincoln AC/DC "Tombstone"