Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Welding Beads

Hybrid View

Default Welding Beads

I'm just a beginning welder and learning to weld with my mig welder. Its a Lincoln SP 130T and I'm running flux core wire. With these welds I was welding the 14ga tread plate floor to 2X3 tubing 1/8 thick. I've pretty much taught myself reading and watch youtube videos. Anyways I'd be interested in your feed back on my weld joints.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TTREB4; 09-09-2013 at 10:58 AM.

Im not a professional like the rest on here but the welds look like they need more voltage. Flux core just wont look as good as gas/feed but try a hotter setting and don't try to go to wide on your weld bead because it only compounds any problem you may have. If you burn thru either speed up your travel speed or turn it back a little. Keep on burning and when you make changes remember what ya did. You tube does have some good videos contrary to others opinions. Good luck.............
    Last edited by Fireman; 09-09-2013 at 08:16 PM. Reason: spelling
    HH 210MVP
    Spoolrunner 100
    Powercraft AC buzz box
    Lotas LTP5000D plasma
    Victor Oxy/Acet
    30 ton press
    A few brand name tools
    Lots of no name tools
    A wife to worry me
    and 4 dogs to supervise me

Quote Originally Posted by Fireman View Post
    Im not a professional like the rest on here but the welds look like they need more voltage. Flux core just wont look as good as gas/feed but try a hotter setting and don't try to go to wide on your weld bead because it only compounds any problem you may have. If you burn thru either speed up your travel speed or turn it back a little. Keep on burning and when you make changes remember what ya did. You tube does have some good videos contrary to others opinions. Good luck.............
    Thanks I'll give it a try.

I'll second your opinion about You Tube videos. I went through 2 years of welding school. Now working as a welder. I still check out the You Tube welding videos. And I continue to learn! Check out Jodie on Welding Tips & Tricks.com. He has the game when it come to welding! Also has some sweet welding tools. Check out the "Tig Finger". Great tool!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 'Stang View Post
    I'll second your opinion about You Tube videos. I went through 2 years of welding school. Now working as a welder. I still check out the You Tube welding videos. And I continue to learn! Check out Jodie on Welding Tips & Tricks.com. He has the game when it come to welding! Also has some sweet welding tools. Check out the "Tig Finger". Great tool!!!

Yeah Jody is a really good welder. Tig finger looks good. Do you have one?? Looks like it is a good tool

I've taught myself basically the same way. The more I weld, the easier it gets (sometimes!). I learned a lot from watching Jodie's videos and wouldn't miss them. I've actually welded several things for people...and they STILL talk to me!

I bought his tig finger and it really does work. I recommend it.

What kind of flux core are you using because there is a gasless kind and one which you need gas for it to be effective, as far as practicing I would recommend that you draw two parallel lines with soapstone about 3/8" apart and practice staying between them, also try making some groove welds and watch the puddle fall into place, it helps you grasp the overall concept of him the puddle behaves, hope this helps