Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Tig welding a forged steel automotive crankshaft

I need a 9/16" dia threaded grade 8 bolt welded into the end of a 1" dia forged steel crankshaft. The bolt is lighty pressed into the shaft. Not certain that the mobile welding company that I contacted actually has the expertise to do the job correctly and I would like to avoid a catastrophic failure down the road . His first attempt broke when I attempted to torque the nut onto the bolt. A crankshaft seal is about three inches away from the weld area so heat is an issue, but I feel I can keep the heat away from the seal. Looking for guidance as to type of rod/wire and pre/post heat instructions. Thank you in advance for any assistance or advice. Bill Robertson.

Cool

Why? Just wondering...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Why ? Is a vry good question and gr 8 bolts do not lend themselves well to welding.

Question Questions for Clarity

Quote Originally Posted by ftlrobby View Post
    I need a 9/16" dia threaded grade 8 bolt welded into the end of a 1" dia forged steel crankshaft. The bolt is lighty pressed into the shaft. Not certain that the mobile welding company that I contacted actually has the expertise to do the job correctly and I would like to avoid a catastrophic failure down the road . His first attempt broke when I attempted to torque the nut onto the bolt. A crankshaft seal is about three inches away from the weld area so heat is an issue, but I feel I can keep the heat away from the seal. Looking for guidance as to type of rod/wire and pre/post heat instructions. Thank you in advance for any assistance or advice. Bill Robertson.
    if I understand this correctly... you are welding this bolt to the crank while the crank is still in the engine?? and possibly still in the car...
    not a good idea...
    the bolt will be grade ZERO once welded...
    and there is no way to restore the heat treat if still in the engine...

Is this by any chance on a Mazda MIATA engine...??

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

the short version- when welding anything heat treated you destroy the heat treat, so it will make no difference if it's grade 8, 5, 3 or 0, it will be the same after welding.

I'm with everyone else, what the heck are you doing/what are you working on?
    Mark
    (aka: Silverback, WS6 TA, JYDog, 83 Crossfire TA, mpikas, mmp...)
    Synchrowave 180 SD | MillerMatic 211MVP + Spoolmate | Hobart Handler 135 | Everlast Power Plasma 50
    1960 Bridgeport J-head | Grizzly 10x22 | HF bandsaw | Rigid 4.5” angle grinder (+2 cheapie HF ones)
    BFH

Actually, with low heat and the thermal mass of the crank, it could conceivably quench harden a part of the bolt at the HAZ and make it brittle. In any event, the heat treatment is messed up.
    Miller stuff:
    Dialarc 250 (1974)
    Syncrowave 250 (1992)
    Spot welder (Dayton badged)

Looks like a 1 post wonder!

Default mm-35 feed problem

yes, my finger got stuck on the key board.

Quote Originally Posted by hot ticket View Post
    yes, my finger got stuck on the key board.
    What are you talking about? This has nothing to do with MM35
    Stainless process piping - welder & fitter

Miller Dynasty 280DX
    Jet band saw
    Dewalt chop saw
    Assorted IR air tools and Metabos