Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Compressor filter/dryers

I have a structural steel project here at the house. I'll be starting in about 10 days and will be using my Hypertherm 380 for the cutting and my brand new 211 for the welding. Problem is my compressor currently has no moisture prevention equipment. What should I put on the system to not tear up my 380? Much obliged!

I use a devilbiss QC3 for my plasma. I used to use a cheapo little filter right on the back of my plasma and since I've switched to this my consumables have considerately jumped in life. I got it through amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackfre View Post
    I have a structural steel project here at the house. I'll be starting in about 10 days and will be using my Hypertherm 380 for the cutting and my brand new 211 for the welding. Problem is my compressor currently has no moisture prevention equipment. What should I put on the system to not tear up my 380? Much obliged!
    Where do you live? If it's not that humid where you live your needs will be different from those that live in areas of the country that are especially humid.

Here's the one I'm going to eventually buy.

http://www.usaweld.com/Plasma-Cuttin...ories-s/63.htm

I'm not sure whether or not every model comes this way but my hypertherm has a built in filter-dryer. I'ts located inside. I didn't know it had one until I needed to remove the cover and saw it in there.

Thumbs up

Have had excellent results with the Motor Guard brand "toilet paper" style water separators..

http://www.tptools.com/1and4-Water-Separators.html
    Last edited by H80N; 09-10-2013 at 10:36 AM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

The Great Lakes GRF-20 refrigerated air dryer on the compressor output has been providing terrific service.

It is quiet, long-life and great performance.

The compressed air changed from shooting water drops to not any water issue.

Quote Originally Posted by wingless View Post
    The Great Lakes GRF-20 refrigerated air dryer on the compressor output has been providing terrific service.

a great way to go..!!!

Refrigerated air dryers are the best answer for large volumes of DRY air....

they do tend to be pretty proud of them though....

be prepared for sticker shock..!!... might cost more than your compressor..

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Yeah, I looked at the refrigerated ones too - price is why the air for my PM45 goes into this

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and then into this

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

consumables have about 120 feet of cut on anywhere from 16 ga. to 3/4", still look new... Steve

Quote Originally Posted by wingless View Post

Quote Originally Posted by H80N View Post
    a great way to go..!!!

Refrigerated air dryers are the best answer for large volumes of DRY air....

they do tend to be pretty proud of them though....

be prepared for sticker shock..!!... might cost more than your compressor..
    This was an older unit ~10 years old, purchased on Craig's List.

The cost was okay.

I prefer the Hurricane style. ( not the automatic drain) They are cheap, and best of all ZERO maintanance. Same sort of ones that generally come with the unit, cept bigger.

Get one, one size over the line, so say if you have a 1/2" line, get one for 3/4" and step it down.

So what you do is install the unit, and open its bottom drain valve a hair, for slight bleed. thats it, no canisters, no corrogated toilet cartriges to change. Removes 99.9% of the water