Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default shipyard workers in alabama?

I'm just wondering if there's any shipyard workers in alabama or near by? If so what yard do you work in and what do you do there?

I work at Austal in Mobile, Al. I'm a ship fitter.

Exactly what I was looking for. I just interviewed with Austal yesterday. I'm in the AIDT structural welding class right now with two weeks left and was thinking about doing the 4 week ship fitter class to get a foot in the door with Austal. But during the interview we talked about how I was more Into welding (never done ship fitting, just steel and aluminum welding). He said that as soon as I'm ready to take the test to give him a call and I can come take the test. So how do you like working there? Do they have good benefits and good pay? I'd be starting out as a B class welder if I do get hired. Thanks in advance

I like working at Austal as much as I'd like working anywhere at this point in life. I've never worked at a shipyard before Austal, but from what I hear, it is probably the best shipyard to work at, in terms of working conditions, pay, benefits, etc. I think the benefits are really good, and from what I hear, the pay is comparable to other shipyards in the area. I'm on the weekend shift, which means I work 3 12-hour days and then I'm off for 4 days. I really like that schedule.

The B-class welding test is pretty easy. They give you some 10mm plate and you do fillet welds in the vertical and overhead positions. They do a visual on the welds, and then you break them and they check for penetration.

If you enjoy welding, you will get to do plenty of it at Austal. If you do well, they will probably let you take the A-class test after 6 months.

I was also thinking about Ingals shipyard in Pascagoula, MS but decided that it was too far of a drive. I really like welding aluminum though. The test that I have to take is the vertical and overhead test on fillet welds, which I can pass right now. But I also have to do a mock up which is two plates with one on the edge of the other and then two square pieces ( one with a gusset) and you have to weld it in the vertical position with wraps. So it combines vertical, overhead, and flat together. But it is strictly visual. I'm really looking forward to working at Austal. Hopefully ill get hired. Thank you for all the info, it really helped.