Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Trailblazer 302 Crashed after jump starting

I haven't used it in several weeks and I tried to start my Trailblazer 302 and found that the original battery finally gave up so I jump started it. I hooked the cables to the positive post and the negative cable to the welder frame. It started right up. It idled up and idled back down like it should and I unhooked the jumper cables. I noticed that the digital amp guage and fuel guage were not right. The amp guage displayed the amperage with a decimal point "39.4" instead of how it would normally display the amps while stick welding. For example "135". The fuel tank was full but the top and bottom lights were not on. I'm thinking that the engine needs to be at high idle to help the battery charge so I turned the switch up to "RUN" position. The engine did not idle up so I cycled the switch several times but it did not help. Trying to get a response I try to get the engine idled up by striking an arc and found out that not only did the engine not idle up but the welder wouldn't strike an arc.
    Does anyone have any experience with this or know what I need to replace to get it back running right? Thanks

Just do a quick search on this board, as this is a common problem. In the future, you should NEVER jump a TB, as it pooches one of the boards.

Default jumping t.b.

Electricty will always take the path of least "resistance". Jumped these many times at the terminals without any issues, keep in mind that all electronics are subject to being overloaded. So a good chance a board(s) is popped corn.

If I ever had to jump my bobcat . Would it work if you had the vehicle cut off so you were just using the battery to jump with ? Sure don't wont to fry the boards.

maybe should have connected both cables to the battery. if the juice went through a board that would be an expensive lesson. im sure cruiser will have good input as always.

How many times have I posted this GEEZ! Ya've blown your power board, don't bother taking it in anywhere, just order and replace it.

Thanks for the replies. I looked at the parts list and I'm not certain which part number I need to replace. I'd sure appreciate more of ya'lls guidance and expertise. For reference the welder is a TB302 and the Serial Number is LF160426. Would you help me with the part #(s) of this power board or boards I need to replace? Will I be able to plainly see that the board or boards are toast? Will I need any special tools to replace the board(s) or will it be a few screws and electrical connections?

The battery was the original that came with the welder and I'm suprised it lasted as long as it did. If I need to jump start something I connect the cables to the terminals but this time I noticed the warning lable on the panel in front of the battery access that said to hook the negative cable to the welder frame. So thats how I hooked it up. Murphey!

Thanks again for the help!

Question TB302. I'm Needing Some Guidance

I took the hide off and looked for the wound. Didn't see anything but that's not saying much. I sure could use some help. Coud anyone tell me exactly where and what I need to be looking for?

Many Thanks!
    JL

Rain? What's that? That word's not in a Southwest Oklahoma dictionary anymore.
    Last edited by JL2990; 09-13-2013 at 01:50 PM.

You can download the parts list for your machine in the Manuals section of the resources tab. Find the manual via your serial number and the power board should be listed in the manual. Page 3.
    That said can anyone explain WHY this burns out when the machine is boosted??---Meltedmetal