Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

In my experience over heating the oil for a crane on a service truck has never been a problem so cooling fins should not be needed.

I looked in some Dakota literature I have, and the 6000 uses a 16 gallon tank
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by J hall View Post
    J hall I got no paper work at all.Could you e mail me what you got?Will send my e-mail to ya via private message thanks.
    Last edited by admweld; 10-05-2013 at 05:24 PM.
    BB402D
    TB300D
    DIMENSION652
    MM250X
    MAXSTAR140
    S-32 FEEDER W/1260 IRONMATE FC/GUN
    HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Quote Originally Posted by Portable Welder View Post
    Admweld., To be honest with you I cant say that Sberry is wrong or not, I built mine back in 1999.

On the flip side I dont think that would have been something that I would have just guessed about.

I dont have hydraulic out riggers so yes, You will need more volume than me.
    __________________________________________________ __________________

What size are your mounting bolts and how many do you have.

My crane bolts down on a 3/4" plate with four 1" bolts.
    I have 8-7/8" bolts.And i,m bolted thru 4"x4"x1/2" angle which is welded down to my 3/4" plate on my deck.
    Last edited by admweld; 10-06-2013 at 02:48 PM.
    BB402D
    TB300D
    DIMENSION652
    MM250X
    MAXSTAR140
    HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Quote Originally Posted by J hall View Post
    Jeff you got hydraulic up/dn outriggers also?I have not fabed my tank yet, but have 2 l shaped pcs 48"longx8"x16" legs.Could shorten it up to 40"or 36" to reduce my capacity if I want too.I just don,t want torun dry and am very nervous about it happening.What is you guys think?Want some opinions from a couple of ya,s?
    BB402D
    TB300D
    DIMENSION652
    MM250X
    MAXSTAR140
    HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Admweld, Be carefull not to go with a small diameter piston for your out riggers, a small piston will easily take alot of weight but you need to think about the times when the foot is on unlevel ground or when the truck moves and its trying to bend the chrome shaft.
    As I said in a earlier post I use ( 2 ) Bull dog tongue jacks for my out riggers.

Remember, the outriggers are two-way cylinders, oil will be coming in as well as going out (although not quite equally). I wouldn't worry too much about running dry, even your lift cylinder (probably a one-way) doesn't take a whole lot of capacity. You need to have enough oil that it doesn't heat up and break down too fast.

I remember, a few years ago, I built a large manure spreader box, I made a "V" shaped hydraulic tank, suction on the bottom (the "point" of the V), supplied both the gate and the chain drive (hydraulic motor). Customer was notoriously cheap, this is a large box on a three-axle Pete, all he needs is two gallons of oil (in a 20 gallon tank!!!) and it won't cavitate or suck air. I don't know if it overheats or not, but normally the unloading only takes five minutes or so.

Also, when was the last time you weighed your truck? I know you have an F450/550, but it's easier than you think to get overweight. I had an IHC 1900, 32,000# GVWR up till a couple years ago, unless I watched it, it would get overweight (like me). And I never put a crane on it.
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Quote Originally Posted by Portable Welder View Post
    Admweld, Be carefull not to go with a small diameter piston for your out riggers, a small piston will easily take alot of weight but you need to think about the times when the foot is on unlevel ground or when the truck moves and its trying to bend the chrome shaft.
    As I said in a earlier post I use ( 2 ) Bull dog tongue jacks for my out riggers.
    I got the outriggers that came with the crane body it was mounted on.The guy I bought it from cut them out of the truck.I got the p side mounted I,m workin on the slide out d-side now.Heading to the shop now to get a ck in mailbox.Iwill snap a pic of what I got and post for ya,s.Thanks for the heads up portable anyhow.I think I am ok?
    BB402D
    TB300D
    DIMENSION652
    MM250X
    MAXSTAR140
    HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Quote Originally Posted by JSFAB View Post
    Remember, the outriggers are two-way cylinders, oil will be coming in as well as going out (although not quite equally). I wouldn't worry too much about running dry, even your lift cylinder (probably a one-way) doesn't take a whole lot of capacity. You need to have enough oil that it doesn't heat up and break down too fast.

I remember, a few years ago, I built a large manure spreader box, I made a "V" shaped hydraulic tank, suction on the bottom (the "point" of the V), supplied both the gate and the chain drive (hydraulic motor). Customer was notoriously cheap, this is a large box on a three-axle Pete, all he needs is two gallons of oil (in a 20 gallon tank!!!) and it won't cavitate or suck air. I don't know if it overheats or not, but normally the unloading only takes five minutes or so.

Also, when was the last time you weighed your truck? I know you have an F450/550, but it's easier than you think to get overweight. I had an IHC 1900, 32,000# GVWR up till a couple years ago, unless I watched it, it would get overweight (like me). And I never put a crane on it.
    Its heavy joe.I just got quote from a spring shop I,m friends with the owner.He going to add 2 leafs o the p-side and take out the single top helper and add a 4 stack helper pack.Diside getting 1 leaf to the main pack and the 4 pack on top also as a helpers.Everything parts and labor $850 going next week.I got to get in on a scale I know I,m running heavy but have not been stopped or weighed in all the yrs I been running.Now with the crane on it maybe a different story it does look heavy that why I,m getting springs so it don,t look bad going down road.I got a 550.
    BB402D
    TB300D
    DIMENSION652
    MM250X
    MAXSTAR140
    HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Here in Cal and Nevada, we worry about the commercial cops that drive around in pickups, they carry their own portable electronic scales. It used to just be the highway patrol, more and more cities want the dollars from fines, so everybody is doing it now. And yes, I have been stopped and weighed. Time lost, for full inspection and weighing both axles, two or three hours . Never a ticket, but at least the cop can fill out his production report.
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....