Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default New to welding - taking a welding class here in Texas ...

Hi there. Total newbie here in the DFW Texas area. I got a good friend and mentor that insisted I take a welding class instead of learning on my own, so I started an introduction to welding yesterday, at the Eastfield College, Mesquite, TX:
    http://www.eastfieldcollege.edu/Ced/Fall/WLDG.html

Here are some photos of the classroom:

Each studend gets his/her own welding area:

Pretty much all of the equipment is Miller:

Today we did all of the safety stuff, and the oxy/ace torch. We even had time to start cutting with it. That is not me, but that was one of my fellow students giving it a try:

Next week I think we start with oxy/ace welding

Will

Today we started welding with oxy/ace. That was fun, since it is relatively slow. First without filler, and then with filler:

I only had time to practice one "T" joint - definitely needs lots more practice for those:

Then we started to dive into stick welding, starting with 6013 on this Miller:

We only had time to practice starting the arc (actually easier than I though), and then starting to do beads, playing with the voltage setting and travel speed to get a feel for things:

Next weekend we will pretty much do stick all day: butt joints, overlap joints, "T" joints, horizontal, etc.. Then the following week we are targeting starting with the MIG.

Will

Well,,,,, the other new welder post I just replied to must be sooo wrong.

I guess training has changed over the years. The machines in the pics prove me wrong.

But hey, looks like your loving it and excited about it. No better way to learn something, being passionate about it will make you a sponge.