Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool Antique cast iron clamp part fixed

A guy at work dropped this part off and asked if i could weld it. Yup no problem i said. Fired up the MM185 with crown alloys .035 cast wire and 75/25 gas and tacked it together. Ran some beads and cleaned it up...Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Quote Originally Posted by aametalmaster View Post
    A guy at work dropped this part off and asked if i could weld it. Yup no problem i said. Fired up the MM185 with crown alloys .035 cast wire and 75/25 gas and tacked it together. Ran some beads and cleaned it up...Bob
    Good job, Bob.

Looks like he should be happy with that. I'm curious how you are able to mig it when everyone says it has to be heated and cooled slowly etc. ? Was it just this part and the way it was broken or will that work on other cast iron?
    Burt
    Miller Thunderbolt XL
    http://www.10FtDrillBit.com

Bob, you've mentioned this wire before. I just looked up Crown Alloys, seems everything they offer is nickel-based. Exactly which product are you using? I do enough cast myself it is worth picking some up, I normally use nickel rod but I think the lower total heat input from wire (vs 1/8" stick) would minimize cracking problems afterwards in many cases.

Thanks in advance,

Joe
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

It is the Crown Alloys. royal 44-30

Thanks.

What percent nickel is this? The website doesn't give a whole lot of information. I even downloaded the tech sheet, nothing.

I'm guessing the best place to order from is Indiana Oxygen.

To the earlier poster wondering why this works w/o preheat and postheat, you can use the same amps with wire, but reduce the total heat put into the work you would be applying with stick.
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by JSFAB View Post
    Thanks.

What percent nickel is this? The website doesn't give a whole lot of information. I even downloaded the tech sheet, nothing.

I'm guessing the best place to order from is Indiana Oxygen.
    I have the Crown Alloys catalog and it doesn't have the nickel content either. I think Indiana Ox had the best online price. I paid 75 bucks local...Bob

Thanks, Bob.

Turns out there was nobody local to me that carries Crown Alloy 44-30, or even had any interest in ordering it for me, ended up buying from Baker's Gas, the only online source I could find that was point, click, and pay. Ended up using it this weekend, on a couple stove doors. Almost impossible to preheat them without sticking the whole thing in an oven. Stick weld with nickel, it cracks somewhere else. Try brazing, it cracks somewhere else. With this wire, I was able to weld it one inch at a time (in the correct progression and direction), letting everything cool in between welds (I had other things to do in the meantime), no cracks.

Cool

Good to hear...Bob

Looks great Bob. How does the strength compare to the parent metal?
    Thanks,
    Nick

when ya go to buy stick cast rod, there basically 2 choices, low nichol content,w hich is machineable and the higher nichol content which is not machineable, mayby in the wording on the label will shed some light, the low nichol is less than 50 %