Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Lets see pictures of your band saws

Here's my Ellis 1600 when it was almost new. I have enjoyed working with the saw, it's accuracy is amazing. I have gotten pretty good at figuring out how to clamp odd shaped work on it. I keep a pair of 12" vise grips by the saw for holding jobs the saw's vise can't hold properly and wood blocking to raise or put behind a work piece that has a bolt or something that keeps it from laying flat on the saw's table or up against the fence. I prop the head up with a 4X4 to keep pressure off the heads hydraulic lock and to keep the heads springs from stretching.

I'm always saying my Ellis is the heart of the my shop. I couldn't work with out it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice, I have always wanted one but the old porta band gets me by.

Don't have any room inside for one but what a difference it would make.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardrock40 View Post
    Nice, I have always wanted one but the old porta band gets me by.

Don't have any room inside for one but what a difference it would make.
    I don't use my porta band much, I'm terrible at following a line with it, but those of you that do use yours seem to learn to make decent accurate cuts with them... I use mine mostly for making unusual cuts that can't fit on the Ellis or cutting off bolts.

I was hoping to see other brands of band saws, guys interested in buying one could compare saws and ask owners questions all in one thread .

Default Lets see pictures of your band saws

Here is a video of my 4x6 Princess Auto saw with a home made oil cutting system.

http://youtu.be/12M-yLlMvBQ

She is no Ellis but I use it often for home use and it does great with a custom Lenox 6/8 tooth pitch blade.

Pretty cool idea, does the oil ever cause the blade to slip on the wheels?

Quote Originally Posted by tackit View Post
    Pretty cool idea, does the oil ever cause the blade to slip on the wheels?
    Thanks got the idea off You Tube.

Not so far.

I use the saw weekly and the only issues I have had are the band coming off the drive wheel(this use to happen before the oiling system)

The blade I use is a Lenox 6/8 tooth pitch;pretty aggressive and on the thinner stuff I need to control the feed pressure by hand or change to my standard 22 tpi blade.

Trick is to get a light drip going to carry the chips away while improving cutting efficiency.

There is a good video on YouTube detailing how to maximize your cut with these cheaper bandsaws.

Quote Originally Posted by ericher69 View Post
    Thanks got the idea off You Tube.

Not so far.

I use the saw weekly and the only issues I have had are the band coming off the drive wheel(this use to happen before the oiling system)

The blade I use is a Lenox 6/8 tooth pitch;pretty aggressive and on the thinner stuff I need to control the feed pressure by hand or change to my standard 22 tpi blade.

Trick is to get a light drip going to carry the chips away while improving cutting efficiency.

There is a good video on YouTube detailing how to maximize your cut with these cheaper bandsaws.
    Maybe a bushing or bearing is worn keeping the blade from running true. Got a link to the video? thanks for sharing ericher

Nice Ellis saw. Erich, great idea , like that set up .

Cool

HF 4x6 cutting 4" soild round bar. I liked the saws with the formed arms not the cast ones...Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Quote Originally Posted by aametalmaster View Post
    HF 4x6 cutting 4" soild round bar. I liked the saws with the formed arms not the cast ones...Bob
    That's impressive Bob. If your saw can cut that size of a round accurately it's good enough for most cutting jobs.