Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Aluminium Clip Board

This is a very simple project that has no welding.
    This project will be very boring for an expert but it is a project that just about anyone can do with a minimal tools.
    A clip board is a must for a workshop, it holds the plans of your job or some paper with your chicken scratchens.
    I tried to purchase a metal clip board but again no one here sells them any more.
    They do sell the ones with a masonite board but I don't like any wood products in my welding bay. That said I bought one just to use the clip part.

Ji
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Grip it and Rip it

I paid for a piece of 1.6mm aluminium 6060 T5 cut to size.
    This cost $2.00.

The problem with the masonite clip boards is that they don't support the full length of an A4 page.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

First I grabbed a coin that I wanted to use as a corner template.
    I traced around the coin on all the corners

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

With a pair of tin snips cut out the square corners.
    Then with a file remove all the material to the template line.
    With some sand paper and a sanding block smooth off the corners.
    If all has gone well it should look like this.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

Select the correct size drill and drill out the existing rivets holding the clip board together.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

I placed the old masonite board over the ali board and marked where the rivet holes where I then drilled the holes and rivetted the clip onto the new ali clip board.
    With some sand paper and a sanding block I removed most scratches and burrs.

Job done

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

Time for a test fit.
    Yep the A4 page fits perfect.
    It looks great.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

What I did different on mine was make them about 4 inches longer so I don't get thumb smudges on the paper.

If making them for sale you can buy the clips at office supply stores, Cheaper than taking them offready made clipboards.

I've been selling these for a couple of seasons at flea markets. I don't know why but the ones made out of diamond plate sell better than the flat ones.

Hi Tenfingers,
    Thanks for sharing your project.
    Hard to believe that the bumpy ones are preferred over flat ones. Must be buying them for the bling factor.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

The bumps are on the back side. The only reason I can figure they may be a little easier to pick up off a flat surface.
    Then again why not just grab the clip.
    I don't know, but if they want them I'll make them.