Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I like to create a purge dam with aluminum foil behind the area I'm welding. It helps hold the argon a bit longer. This is 1 1/4" OD x 0.035" tubing. You can see some light straw on this joint. I'm not too happy if I see blue. If I'm seeing blue where it is in your photo, it says to me that I am moving too slowly and the whole area is getting too hot. I like using 0.035" or 0.040" wire. One tip I can offer is to anticipate where your purge will get blocked by the bead. In other words, as you feed filler and the bead raises up a bit, you can get some turbulence behind the bead if your torch angle is a bit low. The bead blocks the argon. So I try to keep my torch angle at 85 to nearly 90 degrees to the joint. And as others have said, try to tighten up your dip spacing. I also suggest to practice on steel to save some money. Use your same gas lens and cup. If you can weld steel without color, you can get a lot closer to welding titanium without much color beyond light straw. Hope that helps a bit.

Titanium by Zanconato Custom Cycles, on Flickr

Backpurge by Zanconato Custom Cycles, on Flickr

Backpurge by Zanconato Custom Cycles, on Flickr

That's some beautiful work Zank.

Thanks!

Beautiful ZANK
    Miller syncrowave 200 runner with coolmate 4
    and wp2025 weldcraft torch
    Miller 125c plasma cutter

WOW i got some practice to do for sure, Thanks to everyone for the advice! ill try and update this in a couple weeks if i can remember and see if yall can evaluate my progress!

- Conor

Have fun with it!

This is a good resource to read through.
    http://www.framebuilderscollective.o...with-titanium/
    With titanium, cleanliness is godliness in the biggest way. All tools should be dedicated to the material including brushes and files. Clean clean clean and clean some more including a good scrub with a dedicated stainless brush followed by another wipe down and you are ready to rock.