Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Another Pontoon Boat

When you have an aluminum weld break out right where the cap joins the barrel, do you try and clean off any of the old weld or just have at it?

Boat ran over a rock pile and pulled the cap away from the barrel.

This isn't my job but I can go help and will try to be there just for the experience and would like to know what most would do with this.
    Attached Images Attached Images

If you dont grind it youll be sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Portable Welder View Post
    If you dont grind it youll be sorry.
    LOL I bet your right. That thing has been sitting in the lake for a good spell. I would do enough cleaning to take some of the old weld down but not thinking there is a need to grind it gone.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Hardrock40 View Post
    When you have an aluminum weld break out right where the cap joins the barrel, do you try and clean off any of the old weld or just have at it?

Boat ran over a rock pile and pulled the cap away from the barrel.

This isn't my job but I can go help and will try to be there just for the experience and would like to know what most would do with this.
    Hardrock

as you know... our resident Pontoon Wizard is FusionKing...

I would review his old posts on the subject.. like your old thread here...

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...hlight=pontoon

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Quote Originally Posted by H80N View Post
    Hardrock

as you know... our resident Pontoon Wizard is FusionKing...

I would review his old posts on the subject.. like your old thread here...

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...hlight=pontoon

Hey, Thanks. Went back thru that post that scares me away from pontoons. LOL
    I have since got the low down on 5356, tougher and durable and takes a little more heat etc.

HAZ is much more of a problem than the filler.
    4043 or 5356 wouldn't matter as both will be more than stronger than the heat affected area at the welds edge where this cap came apart.

This job is not mine, its at another shop. The last job I never got to do, in fact the splash guards are still in the shop. Seems the owner isn't using the boat and has no desire to fix it yet. So I still have not welded on one of these things yet.

This post I was asking about the old weld. Would you grind it all off or just clean it good and weld back to it?

About everything else in the world I would grind/ remove all the old weld. This may cause fit up problems here. But then again, I don't have the final say.

I understand to make good welds is one thing, the knowledge and experience to prep it right is another. I'm getting to the point where most welds I look at in the world look like poop and gaining confidence that maybe I have a bit more pride in what I do than a lot of company's and individuals.

But an engineer, I am not. Knowing the best way every time, I am far far from that.
    This job on the cap IMO is likely to crack open again on the trailer. The weight of the boat has it egged shaped. The boat will have to be lifted to make the joint and weld, then instant and constant stress bouncing down the road.

Like most jobs it has to be done. Good thing is it won't sink the boat if it does develop a crack. Best thing is, it won't have my name on it.

That's not gonna crack from driving down the road....
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardrock40 View Post
    Hey, Thanks. Went back thru that post that scares me away from pontoons. LOL
    I have since got the low down on 5356, tougher and durable and takes a little more heat etc.

HAZ is much more of a problem than the filler.
    4043 or 5356 wouldn't matter as both will be more than stronger than the heat affected area at the welds edge where this cap came apart.

This job is not mine, its at another shop. The last job I never got to do, in fact the splash guards are still in the shop. Seems the owner isn't using the boat and has no desire to fix it yet. So I still have not welded on one of these things yet.

This post I was asking about the old weld. Would you grind it all off or just clean it good and weld back to it?

About everything else in the world I would grind/ remove all the old weld. This may cause fit up problems here. But then again, I don't have the final say.

I understand to make good welds is one thing, the knowledge and experience to prep it right is another. I'm getting to the point where most welds I look at in the world look like poop and gaining confidence that maybe I have a bit more pride in what I do than a lot of company's and individuals.

But an engineer, I am not. Knowing the best way every time, I am far far from that.
    This job on the cap IMO is likely to crack open again on the trailer. The weight of the boat has it egged shaped. The boat will have to be lifted to make the joint and weld, then instant and constant stress bouncing down the road.

Like most jobs it has to be done. Good thing is it won't sink the boat if it does develop a crack. Best thing is, it won't have my name on it.

If I were doing this job I'd fit the head back on with the weld to help with positioning then I'd grind the weld out for a proper re-weld. I use some zirconium flapped disks that don't seem to affect aluminum weldability. Stainless wire brush cups on a die grinder work well then I usually follow with aluminum brightener then proceed with welding. Don't try to weld it all at once to help with distortion. I'm not Fusionking but I've had plenty of success following his advice.
    Dynasty 200DX "Blue Lightning"
    Bernard 3500ss water-cooler
    Rockwell vertical mill
    Beverly Shear B-3
    Beverly Shear JR
    Home-made English wheel
    Milwaukee Porta-band
    " Sawz-all
    Tennsmith 36" stomp shear
    Fixer upper 1968 Redface Lincoln sa200
    Powcon 300st

Its done now, it was an ok fit up after the hammer work and no hammer marks. The weld was left on.

Just dropped down about 3 inches each time and welded up to the beginning of the previous weld. There was a 3/4 inch gap to fill at the very bottom.

It actually took two of us, I did the welding and my bud worked the peddle because it wouldn't reach. Ever try that?

It came out good, the pressure test revealed one tiny pin hole in about 18" of weld. Now I just hope it holds forever or at least until the next rock pile.

That aluminum welds really good, glad I finally got the opportunity to check it out, I'll get over the backaches soon enough.