Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Can you spot weld a plug weld?

For the autobody repairs that I'm doing, I'm using a lot of plug welds. Obviously, these don't have the same appearance as the factory spot welds. I recently picked up a used miller spot welder and was wondering if I could go back and use the spot welder over the plug weld. I've tested it on pieces and it looks OK and seems strong enough. Intuitively, it seems like it should be OK. I'm just an amateur, so I thought I would get opinions from people with more experience. My real concern is does it weaken the original plug weld? Is there any downside to doing this? Any other thoughts?

Unless I'm missing something, why do you feel the need to go over the plug weld(s) with a spot weld?

On automotive sheet metal, a properly done plug weld is only slightly more detectable than a typical spot weld and will hold just as good.
    Last edited by duaneb55; 09-05-2013 at 12:40 PM.
    MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180 SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
    *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
    *HF-251D-1
    *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110

Strickly for appearance. After grinding the plug weld it pretty much disappears. In certain places, I would like it to look like the factory spot weld.

Quote Originally Posted by rick66pony View Post
    Strickly for appearance. After grinding the plug weld it pretty much disappears. In certain places, I would like it to look like the factory spot weld.
    why not put your "cosmetic" spotwelds on either side of your plugwelds??..

would probably give you a more authentic looking "dimple"... if that is the effect you are trying for in a Mustang?... restoration... just a guess from your Sig...
    Last edited by H80N; 09-05-2013 at 01:27 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..