Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Millermatic 200

Default Millermatic 200

I have a Maxstar 200 and I am getting no HF. I am getting a spark between the points. Any ideas of what else could cause no HF?
    Last edited by Dtrain; 09-04-2013 at 10:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dtrain View Post
    I have a Millermatic 200 and I am getting no HF. I am getting a spark between the points. Any ideas of what else could cause no HF?

You are talking about a Syncrowave 200 TIG right??

NOT a Millermatic 200 MIG.... it has no HF... and NO spark gaps...

Assuming we are talking Sync 200...

Even though you are observing spark between the gaps...

I would still clean and regap the electrodes (.008)

and turn on the machine in a darkened room with the covers off to see if there are any visible spark tracks or leakage...

blowing out the case while open could not hurt either...

The HV for the HF is always looking for a place to bleed off..

NOTE: the OP went back and edited/removed reference to Millermatic and replaced with Maxstar
    Last edited by H80N; 09-04-2013 at 03:05 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Sorry my bad I am talking about a Maxstar 200

Sorry my bad I am talking about a Maxstar 200
    I would do a reset to factory defaults and then see how it behaves...

may not be the answer.. but it won't hurt anything..

Section: 5-13. Resetting Unit To Factory Default Settings (All Models) Page 36

http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o2226as_mil.pdf

and again...

Cruizer may have a much better idea...
    Last edited by H80N; 09-04-2013 at 11:39 AM.

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

I have already tried that. It didn't help.

I have already tried that. It didn't help.
    Well then... Cruizer or a factory repair tech...

....can you TIG scratch start???

if not you may have a damaged torch or loose connection??
    Last edited by H80N; 09-04-2013 at 11:40 AM.

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

I have tried 2 different torches and tightened every thing I could think of. Thanks for trying to help.

A serial# is helpfull as there are MANY Maxstar 200 models, though likely your torch has a bad conduit, or your internal hf coupling coil has broken away from the neg output stud

I am at work now and can not give you the serial # till I get home but I do know it is a Maxstar 200 DX. I have done the test I have done on all my welders by holding a screwdriver by the negative terminal when I fire the welder. If there is an arc the HF is working. With that test it tells if there is a problem with HF or the torch.

Seems kinda a dumb, and a little dangerous way of doing things. And you have to remember that HF only comes with a remote, and only comes on for less than a second. It is not continuous on any inverter. AC or DC. Never the less too many diagrams, can't help you period without a serial#.