The expanded metal of the ramp of my customers trailer was welded to the tubing frame every 14 inches. It looked like they tacked it but forgot to weld it. The tack welding was woefully inadequate for the weight of the tractor. The problem was that the wheels of the X-Mark tractor with the vacuum attachment fell exactly between the tubing of the ramp. The expanded metal was unsupported for 17 inches. This caused the expanded metal to be pushed right through the tubing frame so it was now on the opposite side of the tubing. The tires also pulled the expanded metal loose at the top.
The solution was to add two additional bars directly below where the tires go, straighten out the bent expanded metal and finish welding the expanded metal to the tubing frame.
I used knotted wire wheels and glass bead blasting to clean the paint from the areas that required welding.
I also welded on the piece of round tubing to provide a place where my customer could store the latch pin for the tail gate, so it wouldn't get lost.
Last but not least I added a lock for the hinge of the ramp. With the original design the ramp could be slid to the left and removed from the trailer. The problem was that the ramp would work its way out of the hinge so that it would hit the left railing of the trailer, when you raised it. The lock that I added prevented the ramp from sliding axially relative to the trailer.
Results 1 to 7 of 7
09-03-2013, 08:15 PM #1Senior Member
- Join Date
- May 2008
- Troy, MI
Trailer Ramp Repair and Improvement
Smith Oxyacetylene Torch
Miller Dynasty 200DX
Lincoln SP-250 MIG Welder
Clausing/Coldchester 15" Lathe
16" DuAll Saw
15" Drill Press
7" x 9" Swivel Head Horizontal Band Saw
20 Ton Arbor Press