Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default soaking a B&S carb in auto carb cleaner question

My B&S's non adjustable carb's passages evidently are plugged. Does anyone know if soaking a small engines carb in auto carb cleaner will damage/destroy it's pot metal body or rubber parts?

The float, seat and needle have been removed but there are two tiny what look to be rubber plugs in the body of the carb that I'm afraid to remove for fear of not being able to get them back in.

Thanks for any help.

I would just remove the jets and clean them with wire fro a wire brusg=h and spray the venturis out with carb cleaner. I had the gasket on a flat slide Keihin carb for my dirt bike get messed up just by spraying the cleaner on th gasket. Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by tackit View Post
    My B&S's non adjustable carb's passages evidently are plugged. Does anyone know if soaking a small engines carb in auto carb cleaner will damage/destroy it's pot metal body or rubber parts?

The float, seat and needle have been removed but there are two tiny what look to be rubber plugs in the body of the carb that I'm afraid to remove for fear of not being able to get them back in.

Thanks for any help.

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyWelder View Post
    I would just remove the jets and clean them with wire fro a wire brusg=h and spray the venturis out with carb cleaner. I had the gasket on a flat slide Keihin carb for my dirt bike get messed up just by spraying the cleaner on th gasket. Dave
    I ran .030 mig wire through the holes and blew them out with air and it still won't start. I may have to remove the bung if soaking and air doesn't fix the problem....

It's soaking now, if something goes bad so be it, it's no good to me the way it is. Taking it in to get repaired would cost as much as new one.

Thanks for responding JerseyWelder

if you know someone with a small ultrasonic cleaner, he can save your day

Quote Originally Posted by snowbird View Post
    if you know someone with a small ultrasonic cleaner, he can save your day
    That's a great Idea but I don't know anyone who has one.

Default soaking a B&S carb in auto carb cleaner question

In my past experience, years ago, carb cleaner will kill or ruin all except metal Alm. Ect.
    As far as plastic & rubber eek. Cork ?
    As I remember at least the old stuff it's nasty! But cleaned carbs. Well.

My son and I do small engine repair, he is a certified outdoor power equipment technician.
    As for soaking your carb..the soak is very prone to ruin any rubber and some plastic parts of the carb. Do not force high pressure air thru the jets, passages, etc. Some of the newer carbs are equipped with small ball valves and other parts that can be lodged or even destroyed by the high pressure air.

If you can provide your model numbers of of your engine I may can help you more....we may even have a replacement carb in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Goat Driver View Post
    My son and I do small engine repair, he is a certified outdoor power equipment technician.
    As for soaking your carb..the soak is very prone to ruin any rubber and some plastic parts of the carb. Do not force high pressure air thru the jets, passages, etc. Some of the newer carbs are equipped with small ball valves and other parts that can be lodged or even destroyed by the high pressure air.

If you can provide your model numbers of of your engine I may can help you more....we may even have a replacement carb in stock.
    If the carb needs to be replaced I give you a PM. Thanks Goat Driver

I received this engine 5/27/98

Mod 12J707 Type 1750E2 Code 97081556

Quote Originally Posted by tackit View Post
    If the carb needs to be replaced I give you a PM. Thanks Goat Driver

I received this engine 5/27/98

Mod 12J707 Type 1750E2 Code 97081556

Does your carb have a primer bulb or does it have a choke?

Quote Originally Posted by Goat Driver View Post
    Does your carb have a primer bulb or does it have a choke?
    Primer bulb.