Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Bending twisted pipes

I am making a railing and have procured a 1 9/16" 4- twisted tube length. The 4 tubes are twisted around a 1/4" solid rod.

I want to put a curve in it. Ideas? I thought of filling all pipes w sand, fitting it into a slightly larger pipe, filling that with sand, and working with a roller/ bender making ever so slight curves, but I am really, I mean really open for suggestions. The curve needn't be more than say 15 degrees. Thanks in advance. Smiling Man, but having a hard time keeping a curved upper lip with this problem.

Default Bending twisted pipes here's a photo

Sorry forgot the photo
    Attached Images Attached Images

How many do you need to bend? I would make a jig on a welding bench that has the curve you want as a support to bend the pipe against with a peg at one end to hold the pipe against the support and heat the pipe a foot at a time evenly with a rose bud torch a dull red and easily pull the pipe against the jig to achieve the curve you want. Without the tubes being welded together for support it is a bit of a crap shoot trying to bend them as they may distort and separate.

Trying to sand fill them and put them inside another pipe might leave you with the twisted pipes stuck inside the larger pipe.
    Miller syncrowave 200 runner with coolmate 4
    and wp2025 weldcraft torch
    Miller 125c plasma cutter

About what is the OD of all the tubes ? What wall thickness ? Is each tube like 3/8" ID ? Do you have enough material to make a test piece ?

Default Details

they are 4, 5/8" od, 1/8" walls, so yes, 3/8" id. Total od is about 1 1/2". I figured I might have to sacrifice the pipe I'd put them in by cutting it off.

I also thought that if I welded a rod at the end, I could have a buddy keep pressure on the twist as I heated them and gently bent them. I was going to use the same end rod to untwist them and open them up in places and weld collars at points to stop the opening up. Thanks

Default 1 more thought

Yes I have a 3' test piece

I have heated that and bent it in about a 2 foot circle. It is fairly easy to bend without kinking. Make sure it is good and hot, bend gently.

If you have any trouble with it, just buy the version ma with solid bar instead of the tube, it is heavier, but a lot more forgiving.
    FWIW, I just ma a machine to make my own twisted bar. It was not that difficult. The project I made it for required four lengths of bar using 2 pieces of 5/8 square, and 2 pieces of 1/2" square. These were solid hot rolled bars, not tubing.

Thanks a lot. How rich this forum is for a beginner!

Smile

This may sound simplistic.....

But... why not call your supplier and ask some of their folks about bending it..??

you would think that they have dealt with that question more than once...

they should have the good dope on the best methods and know the gotchas....

Was King Metals your supplier?? I hear their people are pretty knowledgable..

http://www.kingmetals.com/Home.aspx
    Last edited by H80N; 08-30-2013 at 06:42 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..