Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

It is for a friend. I was thinking of inserting a piece of solid bar in about 1.5" on each side. I would machine a larger diamter piece down on my lathe so it is a slight hammer fit. This would keep it straight and keep it from flexing. I can sand the stuff off with emery cloth or sand paper and then weld? Thanks for the advice, ideas. Dave

If your a good enouph welder you dont need to insert anything, just weld it.

If not spend the money and turn some aluminum stock down on a lathe and do a nice weld all the way around, Leave a 1/16" gap.

Drilling holes is not needed if your bushings are tight, In fact if your bishings are tight enouph you almost dont need any weld.

Imagine the top of your T-top breaking off at YOUR weld at 40 mph and slamming then pulling someone's friend, wife, or god forebid you or someone's child off the back of the boat.
    I'm a hobbyiest just like you, I turn down friends who want to modify street bikes, boats, and other extreme machines and projects. I can weld awesome but, if you can't garantee your work won't hurt someone down the road don't do it. Do you have professional liability insurance that covers your fabrication of boating structures? If not, someone dies from your weld job, you and your family looses everything. I'm really not trying to bust your balls, just get you to think beyond the friend project. If you do it, best of luck and I hope it comes out great. Ja
    Last edited by ja baudin; 09-02-2013 at 08:34 PM.

Dynasty 200 DX
    Diversion 180 (FOR SALE)
    Millermatic 350P, XR-Aluma-Pro
    30A Spoolgun
    Lincoln Pro Mig 140
    Hypertherm Powermax 30
    14" Rage Evolution 360
    40 ton press brake
    Shop full of tools

I'm not a hobbyist.....just like to reinforce my ideas sometimes.....I have confidence in my work.....a second opinion never hurts.
    Quote Originally Posted by ja baudin View Post
    Imagine the top of your T-top breaking off at YOUR weld at 40 mph and slamming then pulling someone's friend, wife, or god forebid you or someone's child off the back of the boat.
    I'm a hobbyiest just like you, I turn down friends who want to modify street bikes, boats, and other extreme machines and projects. I can weld awesome but, if you can't garantee your work won't hurt someone down the road don't do it. Do you have professional liability insurance that covers your fabrication of boating structures? If not, someone dies from your weld job, you and your family looses everything. I'm really not trying to bust your balls, just get you to think beyond the friend project. If you do it, best of luck and I hope it comes out great. Ja

He is just shortening 2 of the 4 uprights. Plus there is no wind catching the top like a kite. Ever see a depower kite work? In order for that thing to snap two welds at the same time and rip the other two supports out it would have to flip on the highway.

Even if the welds cracked all the way around it's not going anywhere. Maybe it would bend a little somewhere with people using it for an oh crap handle.

IMO if he couldn't find some anodized to see how it welds I would prep it like the OP states and take it to a local shop for the welding.

Then cleanup wouldn't have a bunch of holes and crap due to just making it work and learning on the fly. But if your like me you wont sleep well until you fire up on that thing. LOL

Also watch for fit up after it has been cut. Those appear to widen as they go down, if so it won't be as wide when shorter, your probably beyond that tho.

Thx....just shortening it 3" on one side. Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardrock40 View Post
    He is just shortening 2 of the 4 uprights. Plus there is no wind catching the top like a kite. Ever see a depower kite work? In order for that thing to snap two welds at the same time and rip the other two supports out it would have to flip on the highway.

Even if the welds cracked all the way around it's not going anywhere. Maybe it would bend a little somewhere with people using it for an oh crap handle.

IMO if he couldn't find some anodized to see how it welds I would prep it like the OP states and take it to a local shop for the welding.

Then cleanup wouldn't have a bunch of holes and crap due to just making it work and learning on the fly. But if your like me you wont sleep well until you fire up on that thing. LOL

Also watch for fit up after it has been cut. Those appear to widen as they go down, if so it won't be as wide when shorter, your probably beyond that tho.

Default dont weld sleeve..

I would cut out a section, mill down a sleeve to fit inside tubing, then tap the sleeve and bolt in place.
    Kevin
    XMT 304
    Miller Spectrum 625
    Miller 30a spool gun
    S22a
    Miller Legend 302
    Lincoln LN25
    Ford f450 Maintainer Srv Truck