Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Threaded View

Default Modifying a boat top ???

I am modifying a T Top for a pioneer fishing boat. It appears to be 1 3/4" OD aluminum tubing. I am just shortening the 2 uprights on one side(the top is laying down in the pics). I am taking a 3" section out and butt welding back together. Will inserting a smaller diameter tube and using it as a backer be sufficient enough? I will sand the weld flat and polish after words. Would drilling a 3/8" or 1/2" hole below and above the but joint to use as a plug weld to the inserted smaller tube make it any stronger or will the pull pen butt weld be enough? It uses the 4 circle plates and the two angles above it to mount to the sides of the console. Thx. Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images

Posting Permissions

• You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/footer.inc.php on line 74

Welding Projects

Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.