Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Modifying a boat top ???

I am modifying a T Top for a pioneer fishing boat. It appears to be 1 3/4" OD aluminum tubing. I am just shortening the 2 uprights on one side(the top is laying down in the pics). I am taking a 3" section out and butt welding back together. Will inserting a smaller diameter tube and using it as a backer be sufficient enough? I will sand the weld flat and polish after words. Would drilling a 3/8" or 1/2" hole below and above the but joint to use as a plug weld to the inserted smaller tube make it any stronger or will the pull pen butt weld be enough? It uses the 4 circle plates and the two angles above it to mount to the sides of the console. Thx. Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thought I would have atleast one reply by now! Haha.....either way, being that it is Labor Day weekend where may I be able to find some sort of aluminum tube 1 3/8" OD or a solid stock? Thanks. Dave

Could the section you cut out be cut lengthwise then squeezed together and inserted back into the pipe. I think some do that SS tube so maybe it will work with aluminum also.

I was thinking the same thing as I looked at it on my kitchen counter......could be I guess....
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardrock40 View Post
    Could the section you cut out be cut lengthwise then squeezed together and inserted back into the pipe. I think some do that SS tube so maybe it will work with aluminum also.

Looked at your first pic, is that how you plan to piece back together your aluminum tower? An OA tourch? What kind of machine do you have to weld aluminum?

Dynasty 200 DX
    Diversion 180 (FOR SALE)
    Millermatic 350P, XR-Aluma-Pro
    30A Spoolgun
    Lincoln Pro Mig 140
    Hypertherm Powermax 30
    14" Rage Evolution 360
    40 ton press brake
    Shop full of tools

No....accidentally uploaded that pic. I have a Diversion 165 and some 4043 3/32 filler or 1/8 if needed. Dave

Jersey welder i do this kind of work all day. There is a supply house in miami fl. that has weldable sleeves that we use to do what you want. The name of the supply warehouse is E-TECH your pipe is anodized be carefull how you weld that. That take a different technique than regular aluminum welding. Hope this helps you good luck.

Smile "Bump Welding" Anodized...

Quote Originally Posted by Gaby View Post
    There is a supply house in miami fl. that has weldable sleeves that we use to do what you want. The name of the supply warehouse is E-TECH your pipe is anodized be carefull how you weld that. That take a different technique than regular aluminum welding. Hope this helps you good luck.
    Bump Welding...

Anodizing leaves a nonconductive layer of aluminum oxide on the surface that will not allow you to draw an arc... so you have to "Bump" the tungsten to break through it and start the arc..

Here is a thread on it that might be helpful..

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...chine-settings
    Last edited by H80N; 09-02-2013 at 11:33 AM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

It is for a friend. I was thinking of inserting a piece of solid bar in about 1.5" on each side. I would machine a larger diamter piece down on my lathe so it is a slight hammer fit. This would keep it straight and keep it from flexing. I can sand the stuff off with emery cloth or sand paper and then weld? Thanks for the advice, ideas. Dave

If your a good enouph welder you dont need to insert anything, just weld it.

If not spend the money and turn some aluminum stock down on a lathe and do a nice weld all the way around, Leave a 1/16" gap.

Drilling holes is not needed if your bushings are tight, In fact if your bishings are tight enouph you almost dont need any weld.