Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Miller xr edge or xr control wirefeeder ??s

I just picked up a xr edge Control wirefeeder off of craigs list im starting welding on the side and am trying to get some machines without dropping a ton of money.

I have a powcon (miller bought them out i. The 90s) 400sm inverter / power supply it has the older 14pin connector from machine to feeder.

So i saw wire feeder miller and 14 pin so i jumped on it, i did a little research or googling on the thing i can find enough to gather that it came with a puller gun...

The gun plug in the front of the feeder is a 10 pin..... And i feel this feeder was designed for aluminum wire and i do not feel like spending $900+ to get a used puller gun off ebay to through on

My questions are

Can i wire a "normal" gun to it like a 2 or 4 pin tweeco

Can i run mild and stainless in this feeder

Does anyone sell a puller gun for less then $900 with a 10 pin

If not would anyone need this feeder ill off it for what i bought it for then find something to better suit me

Also my goal of a wire feeder off of my powcon is i can run the powcon at 160amps at 100% duty cycle and 60% at 200amps which i have it hooked up to 240 line i ran to my garage

Im looking for duty cycle prob always run less then 160 but if i dont have to stop i can get done and get paid

POWCON, great little machine, the beginning of inverter welders. Anyway the big issue you might have is the the POWCON is a constant current power supply meant for SMAW. You want to use it as a MIG power source, you need a constant voltage supply. It will not weld correctly. The push pull feeder can be used with steel wire, you may need to change the rollers to Vee type and to the correct diameter if you have the right gun. However you cannot use a regular gun with out major mods. The pusher motor [ slave ] was only ment to guide the wire down the liner, and the motor in the gun [ master ] was the motor with full speed control. Save your self a lot of trouble, find a miller suitcase that is CC / CV capable.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaarp View Post
    I just picked up a xr edge Control wirefeeder off of craigs list im starting welding on the side and am trying to get some machines without dropping a ton of money.

I have a powcon (miller bought them out i. The 90s) 400sm inverter / power supply it has the older 14pin connector from machine to feeder.

So i saw wire feeder miller and 14 pin so i jumped on it, i did a little research or googling on the thing i can find enough to gather that it came with a puller gun...

The gun plug in the front of the feeder is a 10 pin..... And i feel this feeder was designed for aluminum wire and i do not feel like spending $900+ to get a used puller gun off ebay to through on

My questions are

Can i wire a "normal" gun to it like a 2 or 4 pin tweeco

Can i run mild and stainless in this feeder

Does anyone sell a puller gun for less then $900 with a 10 pin

If not would anyone need this feeder ill off it for what i bought it for then find something to better suit me

Also my goal of a wire feeder off of my powcon is i can run the powcon at 160amps at 100% duty cycle and 60% at 200amps which i have it hooked up to 240 line i ran to my garage

Im looking for duty cycle prob always run less then 160 but if i dont have to stop i can get done and get paid

The 400sm is smaw & gtaw (scratch start) gmaw and a third setting for gmaw spray im looking at the book for the cc /cv thing now

So spend $900 on the gun for it?

A XR feed head is pretty much useless without the gun, so yes either use a 30A gun with the proper wire cable and liner, or recommended pull gun for it.

If you plan on only going steel, ditch the xr box, get an miller s22 bench feeder.
    the "pull" gun that goes with your xr box is high.
    if you watch and wait and hold your tonge just right, you might could pick up a gun in the $500 range used and beat up. But you can also get a s22 for $500 in decent shape