Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Miller 330A/BP power requirements

Hi, I am new to this forum. I recently aquired a 330/A/BP TIG welder, all 830 lbs of it. Got a load of accessories with it. It came from a welder friend who just got a pacemaker, and the doctor said no more welding for you. I have read good reviews of this machine, as far as it's durability goes. I am in the process of getting a hardcopy owners manual from Miller literature, to get my bearings for setup. I come from the A/C stick welder world, so TIG is new to me, so I will be on a learning curve. The machine is a whole lot bigger than what I need, both power wise and physical size also. It was too good of a deal to pass up. I am told this machine uses lots of power just for being turned on, without even welding. The machine requires 100A at 220v at full power. For my requirements, I certainly don't need to weld at 460 amps. Less than half that would be adequate. I already have a Lincoln 225A A/C welder on a 60A circuit with a dryer outlet. I have been getting mixed opinions on just using the 60A circuit for this welder, and using the lower and middle heat ranges only.

If I were to go with the new 100A connection, are there any special tips or recommended hardware for wiring up this beast? I will be only 10 feet from the main breaker box in the garage. I have 200A service for the house. Any suggestions or advise would be appreciated.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by GBertolet View Post
    The machine requires 100A at 220v at full power. For my requirements, I certainly don't need to weld at 460 amps. Less than half that would be adequate. I already have a Lincoln 225A A/C welder on a 60A circuit with a dryer outlet. I have been getting mixed opinions on just using the 60A circuit for this welder, and using the lower and middle heat ranges only.
    Well if you went with a 60 amp input and kept your output settings below 60% (276 amps)

I would think you would be fine... of course if you exceeded 60% you will likely pop a breaker...

what model TIG torch are you running?? that is likely to be your limiting factor...
    most popular water cooled is a 20 series... good for about 250 amps...

BTW..Welcome Aboard..!!... where in Pa are you located??

Power requirements are on page 13 of the operators manual..

http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o340p_mil.pdf
    Last edited by H80N; 08-28-2013 at 07:17 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Welcome to the forum.
    Should be ok with the 60 amp as stated the worst should be trip the breaker.

The writing on the torch, says TEC 18 350 AMP water cooled. I live in SE PA.
    Last edited by GBertolet; 08-29-2013 at 08:15 AM.

The writing on the torch, says TEC 18 350 AMP water cooled. I live in SE PA.
    That is plenty of torch.... you will not be limited by torch capacity at 276 amps..

how about water cooler and access??.... argon reg etc??

Sounds like you might be ready to go

How about some pics??

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

Thumbs up Consumables

FWIW... that torch shares consumables with the very popular 17 series aircooled torches... including ... back-caps, collet and collet bodies, ceramic cups, gas lens, etc..

They should all be easily available from your LWS or online... and use standard interchangable part numbers and will accept consumables/parts from other brands as well...

Here is a diagram with the standard part numbers..

http://www.weldcraft.com/pdfs/WP18ENG.pdf

Hope this helps..

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

Thanks for all the info. Some of the extras I got with the welder are a cooler tank with pump, a helium and an argon tank with regulator, two extra torches, a hundred or so tungsten electrodes, mostly 3/32" red tips, about 100 ceramic cones, a box of collets and other misc torch parts, a foot pedal control, and about 50 lbs of misc stainless, aluminum, copper and steel filler rods.

Still on the fence about the power supply though. Decisions, decisions???

Thumbs up

Still on the fence about the power supply though. Decisions, decisions???
    Well it sounds like your 200 amp sysem entrance has enough headroom to allow a 100 amp breaker for the welder.. would be only intermittant use anyway right??

if it is not a financial hardship... I would go for it...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

Default Gas Bottle Ownership

One BIG caution on the gas bottles is to make sure that you have a written proof of ownership from the previous owner...

otherwise the gas supplier may try to confiscate them or try to lease them back to you...

this is a common battle on customer owned tanks...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

Hey GB, I had a 330 for 20 years, it was a great machine. Very smooth on the first two ranges but very rough on the hi-range when ac tig welding. Also very good for SMAW. Used it on a lot of MIL-STD work burning 7018 with the Hi-Freq turned on and using the foot pedal to control amps. You should hard wire it into a new box with a 100 amp breaker. When I first got the machine I had limited resources and had it on a 60 amp and every now and again when I hit the pedal the breaker would trip. In my very limited opinion you should use #4 copper wire, stay away from aluminum.
    I also live in S/E pa- Ted