Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cordless 5" angle grinders

With 3 - 5" grinders on the bench cords are always tangled. One with 1/4" grinder disc,one with zipcut & one with flapwheel. Was wondering if anyone has experience with the cordless models. Do they have enough torque,how does battery last, & any brand recommendations.
    252 Miller Mig
    180 Synchrowave
    R - 45 Milling Machine
    Kingston 1100 Lathe
    Miller 2050 Plasma Cutter

Only good for short duration.

I only use it when I know I'll only need a quick zip or flap wheel application- otherwise it's the cordered version.
    Last edited by Broccoli1; 08-30-2013 at 08:29 AM.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

My wife got me a DeWalt cordless for Christmas, I was totally disappointed in both the performance and battery life. RPM's are too slow, 6500 vs 10,000 for the corded model (which I really like).
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Homemade Water Cooler
    130XP MIG
    Spectrum 375
    60 year old Logan Lathe
    Select Machine and Tool Mill
    More stuff than I can keep track of..

Ive tried Ryobi, Dewalt and a smaller Dremal. I worked in the feild a lot and my employer tried a lot of tools. None had the power, battery life or rpm's to do much of anything. I will not by a battery grinder. I like my Ryobi 18V drills, sawzaw and circular saw. The circular doesn't have great power but is fine for 2x4s and ply wood.
    I by the black & Decker model 4 1/2". I have had 1 for 10+ years, lots of use with no problems. I agree about the cords being in the way. I roll the cords into a 6" loop and tie with a piece of aluminum tie wire (just a quick one twist). I hate the cords rolled around the grinder, the cord develops a memory and ends up kissing the grinding wheel. ..........Just saying..........

I am going to buy one, a Milwaukee but I am on a 28v battery system and not for bench work.

So far does not sound like it will work well in a commercial shop like ours ' . Thanks for the input so far & welcome more opinions.
    252 Miller Mig
    180 Synchrowave
    R - 45 Milling Machine
    Kingston 1100 Lathe
    Miller 2050 Plasma Cutter

Drilling is great from battery power, cutting and sawing are more greedy. Something that helps is to take a look at outlet locations etc, makes a huge difference and really the only corded tool I use is a grinder. Outlet under the bench top works.

As a side note, the real deal in the grinder world is the 7750 from Walmart for under 30 off the shelf 24/7. I did score 2 for 20 a piece from Menards on a sale and tossed them on the shelf and a spare on my service truck.

HF has cheap grinders but they are not the same as this one. Its on a Dewalt chassis and where they tried to cheapen it they made it better along the way, the cord lasts as do the brushes.

S. Berry, I bought one of the 7750 black and deckers a year ago after seeing your post some were. I am very pleased with the grinder. I use it a bunch and sure is nice to have two or three on hand.........
    HH 210MVP
    Spoolrunner 100
    Powercraft AC buzz box
    Lotas LTP5000D plasma
    Victor Oxy/Acet
    30 ton press
    A few brand name tools
    Lots of no name tools
    A wife to worry me
    and 4 dogs to supervise me

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    As a side note, the real deal in the grinder world is the 7750 from Walmart for under 30 off the shelf 24/7. I did score 2 for 20 a piece from Menards on a sale and tossed them on the shelf and a spare on my service truck.
    They look to be $40 now...? $32 at ACE.
    MillerMatic 211 Auto-set w/MVP
    Just For Home Projects.

I couldnt believe Menards dumped them to 20, Kmart had one for 28. Its easy to get caught up0 when one raves about a tool but these have went thru testing, I got one that outlasted at least 3 other commercial units at 100 a shot, when you get 30$ to replace 300 its worthy of a note.

I wouldn't be surprised they try to raise the price on this, it sells for about 90 with a yellow jacket at Home Depot. (90 last time I looked several years ago.) I managed to wear the switch out on one, repaired it once in about 5 minutes and now it went south, it was on the bench where it really worked for years, I replaced it, one of these days it is still worthy of a switch and I dont care if it cost 30, it works.