Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Too late, I just bought the 100A service cable and 100A breaker this morning. It is aluminum though. The clerk said it's #3 wire. I am running the service cable to a box by the welder. The welder is only about 8 feet from the main box. There is a 6 foot piece of BX cable, with copper conductors hard wired to the welder by the previous owner. They look like #4 wire. That will be connected to the service cable at the junction box. I guess that will be OK. I know the electrons don't know the difference, but I am a little curious about the color code on the wires on this service cable.
    I have the bare ground, red w/ 3 white stripes, black w/ 3 white stripes and a solid black wire. I think the black w/ 3 white stripes, or is it white w/ 3 black stripes, is to be the neutral.
    I found steel 3" castors at the local TSC. They are rated for 300 lbs each. Should work for a 830 lb machine. At least I will be able to move the machine around on the concrete floor by myself, for maintenance if needed.
    Last edited by GBertolet; 08-30-2013 at 08:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GBertolet View Post
    ...It (service cable) is aluminum though.... There is a 6 foot piece of BX cable, with copper conductors hard wired to the welder by the previous owner. They look like #4 wire. That will be connected to the service cable at the junction box. I guess that will be OK. I know the electrons don't know the difference....
    You need to use the proper terminals and preparation for terminating aluminum wire. If not, expect a fire. Maybe not right away, but eventually. That is probably why you were advised to stay away from Aluminum.

If I understand correctly, you are going to splice the copper to the aluminum. This can be done, put has to be done properly.

For me....

I would spend the extra and get copper...

aluminum wiring scares the bejeebers out of me....

it may be just fine.... but I would worry over it enough that it would be worth my while to invest in the copper.. just for the sake of peace of mind..

and I know it is all to easy for others to spend your hard earned dollars...

just my 2cents worth..
    Last edited by H80N; 08-31-2013 at 10:58 AM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..