Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Exclamation I need final project ideas

I'm taking a welding diploma course in college now. I need a few ideas for a project at the end of the semester. It will count as 50% of my final grade and i have no idea what to make. Nothing big or expensive being i am broke. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for any ideas.

May as well build items you'll be using afterwards. Pipe stand/jack stand? Cheap and useful.
    Miller 251...sold the spoolgun to DiverBill.
    Miller DialArc 250
    Lincoln PrecisionTig 275
    Hypertherm 900 plasma cutter
    Bridgeport "J" head mill...tooled up
    Jet 14 X 40 lathe...ditto
    South Bend 9" lathe...yeah, got the change gears too
    Logan 7" shaper
    Ellis 3000 band saw
    Hossfeld bender w/shopbuilt hyd.
    Victor Journeyman torch and gauges
    3 Gerstner boxes of mostly Starrett tools
    Lots of dust bunnies
    Too small of a shop at 40 X 59.

Quote Originally Posted by ByerlyJ View Post
    I'm taking a welding diploma course in college now. I need a few ideas for a project at the end of the semester. It will count as 50% of my final grade and i have no idea what to make. Nothing big or expensive being i am broke. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for any ideas.
    Needs to be something fairly unique. something that will catch the instructors eye and make him say **** thats cool and deserves an A.

I agree with wyoroy, I would build a very thought out stand for a bench grinder or something. But put pins or clips to hold extra disks, tools for swapping the disks, etc. I think it's a great opportunity to make yourself something that will be useful after school.

Default I need final project ideas

What are the specs for your final project???

where do you live? I want a custom steel bumper for my truck. I'd buy the materials if you have the stuff to cut, bend and weld.
    Last edited by franklin40; 09-04-2013 at 08:59 AM.

Pipe jacks are a good idea, and infinitely useable. Chopsaw stand, welding table, running gear for your welder, hose reel (hand crank is fine), pivoting adjustable work light boom. Table, chair (inside or outer shop), desk...

If you like welding and are going to continue on, then I would lean toward the equipment end of the list, otherwise just make something nice for inside your house.

Quote Originally Posted by ByerlyJ View Post
    Actually this is pretty tough. Nothing big or expensive takes out a lot of those great ideas and I'm not being sarcastic, those are really good ideas. But they still cost some money when you have no materials at all.

Then again 50% of your grade? Crap, you would think it has to be something that's going to take a couple trips to the scrap yard.

If you go to simple your grade my be at risk. I would be asking for a little more detail from the instructor about how much you can personally afford for you situation.

If your in a bind, try a hat rack or coat rack. You can find some rusty railroad spikes around tracks at bridges or high banks. They don't try and recover them in hard to reach places where they fall down the side in the gravel out from people also.

Cut em in half if need be use both halves on a piece of flat bar 2" wide or better. Bend some small round stock for a design on top or however you choose. Weld it up, use a wire wheel to clean it a little and paint.

Here is a simple version you could spiff up a little done with 2 spikes that were laying around here.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Hw about a picnic table and bench?

URL=http://s255.photobucket.com/user/rivanisko4380/media/Welding%20Projects/RelayforLifePicnicTable010.jpg.html][/URL]
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Homemade Water Cooler
    130XP MIG
    Spectrum 375
    60 year old Logan Lathe
    Select Machine and Tool Mill
    More stuff than I can keep track of..