Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Where to get large sheet of 11 gauge?

I'm working on a project that has an 8'x18' surface area to be covered with 11 gauge steel. This would be a lot easier with a single sheet but nowhere or no one I've talked to can come up with a sheet that large. Once I get into 3/16 or thicker its easy to find, but not as thin as 11 gauge. Does anyone know a supplier that could possibly help with this?

Justin

I really don't know anyone who has that. Handling would be an issue as it will be really floppy. If using multiple sheets does the seems need to be welded fully or can they just be butted together & maybe tacked? I'm sure you already figured it out but two 4' x 10' & two 4' x 8' would do it leaving a + shaped seem. Or three 5' x 8' & one 3' x 8' would leave you three seems running 8' long.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Handling may be why no one has a sheet that large. Once I get into 3/16" or larger there seems to be no limit to how big of a sheet I can get. I was able to locate a 8'x24' piece of that! The seems on the 11 gauge will have to be fully welded, and in an attempt to keep it from letting water leak in we wanted it to be a solid sheet but may not be able to go that route. Thought it was worth checking at least before we started piecing them together. Thanks,

Justin

You could buy multiple sheets around 4 by 8 or so and weld them together then grind down the welds.

Quote Originally Posted by Type View Post
    You could buy multiple sheets around 4 by 8 or so and weld them together then grind down the welds.
    That's what I'm probably going to have to do. The reason I was trying to avoid it is dealing with water leaking in where they're welded together. The piece we're replacing has that problem now and we hoped to get around it, but it may be something we just have to deal with if a big sheet isn't out there.

Justin

11 gauge isn't extremely thin so you could probalby weld both sides and just grind down one unless both have to be smooth. If you don't mind me asking, what will this be used for?

If you're familiar with truck and tractor pulling, the sled that they pull has a pan under it that drags the ground. We are building a new pan for one and this will be going on the top side of it. I attached a picture of one (not the one we're working on) and you can see it's the long flat piece that's barely off the ground.

Justin
    Attached Images Attached Images

Just looking at it the other way, if weight isn't an issue, why not go up a thickness, and get the full size sheet you want???? By the time you very carefully weld all those thin-gauge sheets together, you will probably have more time and money into the job anyway. Just a thought.
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Quote Originally Posted by JSFAB View Post
    Just looking at it the other way, if weight isn't an issue, why not go up a thickness, and get the full size sheet you want???? By the time you very carefully weld all those thin-gauge sheets together, you will probably have more time and money into the job anyway. Just a thought.
    Well actually weight is a little bit of an issue. I was just checking that out earlier, looked like roughly 250-300 lbs. more to go with 3/16 over 11 gauge. We've got to figure out if that's enough to matter or not on this project.
    Total weight for this is going to be between 5500-6000 lbs. 300 lbs. doesn't sound like a lot but one of the goals with the new pan was to get lighter than the old one (6500 lbs.)

Justin

Okay, I see. I would suggest just buying a large single sheet for something like that. Multiple smaller sheets may end up warping a little and not be entirely flat.