Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Tailgate Tire Mount

I am going to be making a tailgate like thing that holds a tire on a pick up truck. I need to make a 62 degree angle so does anyone know the easiest way to make that angle on with 2" round tube? I was going to cut it at an angle but I only have a jig setup with the band saw for 45 i believe. Also to hold a tire, do you think 1/8th inch thick tube would be strong enough or should I change my plan to 1/4? What would be the easiest way to have the tubes meet the edge? For example, where the top bar meets the bottom bar.

pr1.jpg
    mount_out_26a.jpg
    Last edited by Type; 09-16-2014 at 02:34 PM.

So why don't you just buy the product from the company you copied the pictures from?
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

1/8" will be fine
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Quote Originally Posted by JSFAB View Post
    So why don't you just buy the product from the company you copied the pictures from?
    Why buy it for $1,000 when you could only pay $100 in steel?

If the jig on your bandsaw is adjustable to 45*, then set it to 25* and the other end of the cut ends up at 65*. 25*+65*=90*. Try it and see if that's the angle you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Type View Post
    Why buy it for $1,000 when you could only pay $100 in steel?
    By the time yer done figgerin' out the compound mitre cuts on the tubing $1,000.00 will be cheap

You are not just cutting a 60˚ like on square stock since you need to make 2 cuts on each end of the tubing to make the fish mouth that fits snug against the other piece of tubing.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/shop-...-pictures.html
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    By the time yer done figgerin' out the compound mitre cuts on the tubing $1,000.00 will be cheap

You are not just cutting a 60˚ like on square stock since you need to make 2 cuts on each end of the tubing to make the fish mouth that fits snug against the other piece of tubing.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/shop-...-pictures.html
    I think I may have figured out how to cut the tube at the correct angle. Thanks for the link also.

At the epicenter of the Green Mountain Range in VT

In my teens I built a few for Jeeps. I used at the time second hand un galvanized rigid steel conduit schedule 40, (5/32) mostly I used 3/4".

Quote Originally Posted by Type View Post
    I think I may have figured out how to cut the tube at the correct angle. Thanks for the link also.
    Will this lead to a new build thread when you start on this Project?

I have guys bringing me pictures of tire racks , things like this ,etc. all the time wanting to know how much I want to make them one. I tell them I'm no cheaper than where they got the picture from. If you don't want to pay their price you don't want to pay mine!