Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Trailer Ramp Hinge Repair

The hinge pin of the ramp was originally only welded on the right side of the pipe that was welded in turn to the trailer. The pin was 3/4" and the hole in the pipe was 13/16". As the trailer bounced along the pin could move back an forth within this 1/16" clearance. Eventually the single weld fatigued and the pin slipped out and was lost. For my repair I replaced the pin and welded it to the pipe on both sides to remove the moment. Picture 1 & 2 shows the before and after pictures of the hinge.

The mower deck wasn't adequately raised so it grabbed the expanded metal and attempted to rip it off of the ramp. Picture 3 shows my repair which was to straighten it out and weld it back to the ramp. The repaired section is shiny in the picture.

The inner plate of the fender was separated from the top portion of the fender due to the failure of some spot welds. It was flapping to the point that it was rubbing on the tire. For a repair I tacked the inner plate to the rail of the trailer as shown on Picture 4. Later I will weld the two fender pieces back together.

Picture 5 shows the repair of the weld on the left hand fender, which attaches the fender to the rail of the trailer. You can also see a tear, which I repaired. Later I will weld on two pieces of angle iron, which will cantilever out from the rail of the trailer and support the front and rear of the fender on the bottom.

My main mission was to repair the hinge pin because my customer is dead in the water without the trailer. We started after my customer and I were done with our day jobs and we worked for three hours in the evening. I did the other repairs in addition to the hinge pin repair to avoid a disaster before I can repair it properly this weekend.

Don
    Attached Images Attached Images

Miller Thunderbolt
    Smith Oxyacetylene Torch
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Lincoln SP-250 MIG Welder
    Clausing/Coldchester 15" Lathe
    16" DuAll Saw
    15" Drill Press
    7" x 9" Swivel Head Horizontal Band Saw
    20 Ton Arbor Press
    Bridgeport