Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Guardrail Specs - Help!

Hey guys,
    Here is my question: I am helping design/fab a mezzanine for a customer, and we have four sections of railing/guardrails that are removable. I am wondering, what is the maximum and minimum spacing between the rails. I have searched through a fair amount of OSHA documentation, and have yet to find an answer. I have attached an image for reference. Any help would be greatly appreciated guys! Thanks in advance! Removable Guardrail Top View.pdf
    Last edited by RTCmiller; 08-26-2013 at 05:21 PM.

Cool

I made 100's of feet of it when i was a Millwright for a factory i worked in. We just kept the same spacing as a normal railing but we did add a 4" kick plate to the bottom same as the regular railing...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

No spacing larger then 4 inches. And minimum 36 inches tall. Hope that helps
    Syncrowave 250
    Millermatic 210
    dialarc 250
    spectrum 375x
    trailblazer 302
    Lincoln 135

This sorta covers your question

"You indicated in your conversation with Art Buchanan, as well as in your letter, that two tanks are located adjacent to each other. A runway with standard guardrails is located on top of each tank with the end of the two runways butted to each other, but not connected (a drawing was attached). You also indicated that the two runways cannot be attached to each other because of the independent movement of the tanks that occurs during operation; however, engineering modification can be incorporated to minimize the gap between the two guardrails. Based on the information that you have provided, a maximum opening of four inches between the two guardrails would ensure compliance with 29 CFR 1910.23."

https://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owa...ONS&p_id=22312
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

If this is for a commercial or industrial application the 4" rule does not apply. A guard rail must be no less than 42" in height with a mid rail and a 4" tall toe plate. If hand rails are required 36" is the preferred heigth.
    2, XMT's 350 cc/cv
    1, BOBCAT 250
    1, TRAILBLAZER 302
    1, MILLER DVI
    1, PASSPORT PLUS
    1, DYNASTY 200 DX
    1, MAXSTAR 150 STL
    1, HOBART CHAMP
    1, HF-251 BOX
    1, S-74d
    1, S-75DXA
    2, 12-RC SUITCASES
    2, 30 A spoolguns

Thanks for all the replies guys! This railing does have a toekick already attached as indicated by the pink lines on the drawing. The toekick will be 1/4' x 4" flat bar, welded to the uprights so as to create a OSHA safe toekick. The guardrail will be 42" in height, measured from the top surface of the deck, with an intermediate rail halfway between the top rail and deck. I have attached a side view of the project, maybe that will clarify a little. So is 4" between railings the maximum? Is there a minimum as far as anyone knows, to prevent hands and fingers from getting caught between the railings?

Thanks again for the help guys!
    Removable Guardrail Top View.pdf
    Attached Files Attached Files

What fabricator stated and you described does meet OSHA standards. The additional 36" high handrail on the inside of the guardrail is normally only used if you also have to meet ADA rules. The 4" max spacing between rails or pickets applies mainly to residential applications.
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Quote Originally Posted by fabricator View Post
    If this is for a commercial or industrial application the 4" rule does not apply. A guard rail must be no less than 42" in height with a mid rail and a 4" tall toe plate. If hand rails are required 36" is the preferred heigth.
    The 4" that I linked to does apply in his application- it is the maximum distance allowed between 2 adjacent guardrails.

We are not discussing picket spacing.

That you are correct on as pickets are not required on guardrails.
    Ed Conley
    MM252
    MM211
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Quote Originally Posted by RTCmiller View Post
    Thanks for all the replies guys! This railing does have a toekick already attached as indicated by the pink lines on the drawing. The toekick will be 1/4' x 4" flat bar, welded to the uprights so as to create a OSHA safe toekick. The guardrail will be 42" in height, measured from the top surface of the deck, with an intermediate rail halfway between the top rail and deck. I have attached a side view of the project, maybe that will clarify a little. So is 4" between railings the maximum? Is there a minimum as far as anyone knows, to prevent hands and fingers from getting caught between the railings?

Thanks again for the help guys!
    Removable Guardrail Top View.pdf
    I couldn't find anything on Minimum distance
    Ed Conley
    MM252
    MM211
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

From what i read in the OSHA letter the spacing between guardrails is to be treated the same as the spacing between a guardrail and a wall and that spacing distance can only be a Maximum of 4"

Guardrail.jpg
    Ed Conley
    MM252
    MM211
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus