Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: hammers

I dont have a brand preference, I love going to flee markets and finding misc. hammers, I have about 5 hammers on my welding rig and about 10 hanging on the walls in the shop.

Its not always about the handle, Its not always about the head, Its not always about the shape of the head, Its not always about the length of the handle.

Its about the right combination.

I have several hammers on the wall and they all have their place depending on material thickness and how I need to form it.

I love my drilling hammer. It is a minature sledge. Small enough handle and head to get into tight places, yet enough mass to do something anytime.

I have broken rocks stuck between disc blades with it or used it to separate ball joints. Used it just a few minutes ago removing the blades from my lawn mower deck.

Dont know why they are not more popular.

Default Fabricators should fabricate

I have a ten pound sledge head welded on 16 inches of 4inch cold rolled steel

Any Flatter fans?

That and an old "railroad" hammer.
    It has a homemade fiberglass reinforced handle.
    I have a Stewart that gets nails where they go.

Snap On 3050B

Simply one of my best purchases ever. This hammer is a game changer for sure. I find a new use for it every time I think I might want to smack something.

Also, its my only snap on tool I own.... Other stuff is too expensive, this one is worth the money.

At the epicenter of the Green Mountain Range in VT

I have two sons, each has an entourage, weekends and evenings are busy. I have enough receipts that include hammers to fill a shoe box. I bet my oldest hammer is 2 years old. The best hammer would have a homing device. Typically if I find a tool I can't be too fussy, sometimes making do with a piece of pipe or rock.

Default hammers

3lb with 10 inchx2inch cold rolled welded to it. Had it 8years now works great along with the other 4 I have on the wall
    Syncrowave 250
    Millermatic 210
    dialarc 250
    spectrum 375x
    trailblazer 302
    Lincoln 135

I like Estwing hammers for carpentry but their chipping hammers are way too soft...
    Quote Originally Posted by jpence38 View Post
    These are the only hammers that I would buy. A little more pricy, but will last longer than me.

http://www.estwing.com/specialty_tools.php

And for the record it's hard to top the Snap-On dead blow ball peens for comfort and force....just don't leave them on anything hot.....lifetime warranty too.
    Quote Originally Posted by JerseyWelder View Post
    I like Estwing hammers for carpentry but their chipping hammers are way too soft...